PDA

View Full Version : Reostat

Chicopee Sap Shack
11-07-2015, 10:58 AM
What cage blowers can I use a reostat on? Or can one be used on any of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madmapler
11-07-2015, 12:26 PM
The motor must have brushes which rules out most ac motors. There aren't many cage blowers set up that way.

PerryFamily
11-07-2015, 04:13 PM
I started out with a cheap rheostat, basically a dimmer switch. That didn't last long at all. Ended up getting a HD one from a local electrician ($48?) that is now on season 3. Worked much better

morningstarfarm
11-07-2015, 05:44 PM
I tend to avoid rheostats on my blowers...too many problems over the years...if you are using a squirrel cage blower make a plate to partially cover the intake...works well

maple flats
11-08-2015, 06:45 AM
While I don't have a squirrel cage blower now, when I did it was with a inlet damper to regulate the flow. I was also in a OWB business for 14 years and they used a squirrel cage blower, also with a damper. The type of motor typically on that type of blower don't play well with most rheostats and the rheostat ends up shorter lived than in other typical uses for them. That does not mean the rheostat will fail instantly or even seasonally, just that it will not last as long as it should, it might be a month, year, 3 yrs or more, but not usually the 10-20 years it is designed to last.

BreezyHill
11-08-2015, 09:32 PM
I have a dimmer rotory switch that has about 10 years on it. I only slow the fan when pulling off and most of the time since installing an auto draw off system I built in a switch to stop the fan if needed other wise it is full bore. I got a truck exhausted blower that is going on the evap for the coming season and it will have an intake gate connected to a truck throttle adjuster. If I need full air I push the red button and then just count the turns til it is where it is best for that day. This motor will be hooked to the current on/off switch also.

My issue is always the first draw after a night shut down...seems the entire finish pan is ready at one time...I lose the density gradient over night.

I would suggest not bothering with the rheostat.