PDA

View Full Version : Brick under flue pan?

madmapler
10-30-2015, 03:45 PM
I'm currently insulating my arch and it occurred to me that putting brick under the flue pan instead of blanket might improve the boil because the bricks retain heat. I was also thinking it might tend to even out the highs and lows a little more when wood firing. Any thoughts or experiences that support/condemn that theory?

lakeview maple
10-30-2015, 07:58 PM
I have only blanket under my flue pans , I run the blanket the full length of the arch then I run the bricks up the ramp to the point I don't have to worry about tearing it with firewood when firing. Hope this helps,Al

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-30-2015, 10:06 PM
Bricks absorb a lot of heat and take quite a while to get fully hot. Ceramic blanket reflects all the heat up into the flue pan and when you shut down, you don't have that heat reflecting for several hours into your pans.

madmapler
10-31-2015, 08:17 AM
you don't have that heat reflecting for several hours into your pans.

Good point. I pretty much have to go with bricks with my AOF system so I'll have to shut down a little earlier. Thanks.

Flat Lander Sugaring
10-31-2015, 03:22 PM
if you use a flu brush might want to brick so you dont rip up ceramic blanket. I have 2" of cermaic blanket covered by brick, I brush my flues every time I boil

Tweegs
11-01-2015, 07:26 AM
if you use a flu brush might want to brick so you dont rip up ceramic blanket. I have 2" of cermaic blanket covered by brick, I brush my flues every time I boil

This

And the brick helps slow down the mice. They’ll pull material from anything exposed to make a nice cozy nest.

morningstarfarm
11-01-2015, 05:01 PM
I've tried both bRick and blanket..but what worked best for me was when I went to vermiculite... To keep it from moving I sprinkled about 1/2" of mortar over it and then wet it down a bit with a hose...works awesome and you get the best of both for around 40 bucks...

PerryFamily
11-01-2015, 06:48 PM
I made the ramp out of fire brick to within an a half inch of flue pan. Same with by the stack. The center I filled with vermiculite. That I covered with blanket. The blanket almost touches the flues. After boiling for hours and hours the side of the arch where the vermiculite is is still cold enough to easily touch. This is on a raised flue. With the rest of your modifications you'll be biological beat hell. Good luck