PDA

View Full Version : Drop flue pans

jbutton
10-27-2015, 08:20 PM
Hello this may sound foolish. But I have a question on drop flue pans. Right now I have a 2x4 continuous flow evaporator and am thinking of going to a hybrid evaporator. This consists of drop flue pan. How does the drop flues work?I'd like to shorten my boiling time and can not have a bigger rig due to space. And not interested in r.o.the hybrid pan is said to reduce time. Thanks james

mellondome
10-27-2015, 10:56 PM
Increased surface area for boiling.

MISugarDaddy
10-28-2015, 04:42 AM
We started with a 2 x 4 continuous flow flat pan and then replaced it with a hybrid drop flue. We went from 14 gallons per hour to 23. This was without a blower on the evaporator.
Gary

jbutton
10-28-2015, 05:07 AM
I understand that it increases the gpm. But how does the flow work. Wouldn't the heavier sap go to the bottom

jbutton
10-28-2015, 05:09 AM
Understand that but it's the flow I'm wondering about. With a continuous pan the sap pushes the syrup ahead.but how does it on a drop flue

Super Sapper
10-28-2015, 05:43 AM
The boiling action in the drop flue will keep it mixed. You should get a lot more violent boil with the flues.

jbutton
10-28-2015, 05:53 AM
Ok thanks so it keeps it mixed up and the syrup gets pushed to the front pans

maple flats
10-28-2015, 08:39 AM
yes, the heavier is still pushed ahead of the lighter. The heavier may settle when not boiling, but as soon as you get a boil going, everything is well mixed again, and light feeding the pan, pushes heavy towards the draw off.

jbutton
10-28-2015, 10:49 AM
Thanks, now I need to make the decision as to spending that much on a hybrid pan or make it myself thanks again

jrgagne99
10-28-2015, 02:16 PM
Understand that but it's the flow I'm wondering about. With a continuous pan the sap pushes the syrup ahead.but how does it on a drop flue

Nothing gets pushed anywhere. Evaporation and draw-off from the front pan is what makes room for the concentrated sap from the back pan to move forward. It has nothing to do with the densities.

buckeye gold
10-29-2015, 01:10 PM
If you have the equipment and skill set to make a pan go for it, but I payed the extra for someone who has the experience and history of making quality systems. I have not regretted buying the hybrid hobby pan I have or it's cost. I think it's wort the extra for something that someone else has put the engineering and testing into. I have a Smokey lakes Pan and love it.

jbutton
10-29-2015, 06:30 PM
Thank you buckeye gold for the info. Smoky lake is who I am looking at for the hybrid pans.

wokeupthisam
10-29-2015, 07:39 PM
I'd love to hear how you like it. I bought a half pint over the summer and thinking about the Smoky Lake 'full pint' replacement pan - has 8 drop flues and looks like a work of art. Wondering if it's worth the added $$ to invest...

buckeye gold
10-30-2015, 05:30 PM
wokeupthisam, I have the full pint. I more than doubled my boil rate. Most people who have them don't get the best boil in the front syrup section with the standard half pint arch. You can draw near syrup and finish on propane or modify your arch to enhance the boil. I extended my arch and I can do pretty well finishing syrup in the pan, but I still prefer to finish in a propane finisher. A blower helps too, I have a blower on mine (AOF). Keep your fire forward as much as possible. Even without the modifications it will cook at twice the rate of the half pint pan. Be sure and get a float box and set up a feed tank. Your old warming pan off the half pint won't keep up.

wokeupthisam
10-31-2015, 07:46 PM
Thanks buckeye, I like to finish out of the pan as you do. That sounds like a good pickup in boil rate. Thanks for the tips on the float box and feed too - sounds like it's worth the $$ to save time and fuel on boiling time... I'll have to start saving my pennies now ; )

Marvel26
11-15-2015, 04:03 PM
Smoky Lake is the way to go!

I would recommend a phone call to either Jim or Angela, they are experts and are absolutely FULL of good information. They answered every inane question I had before and after I bought my 2X5 hybrid last year.

Rob

Sugarmaker
11-15-2015, 04:28 PM
I believe there is a density factor involved also. The raw sap does move the more finished syrup towards the draw off point.
Regards,
Chris

jbutton
11-15-2015, 06:38 PM
Thanks Rob and chris. I thought the same chris. I have emailed jim at smokylakemaple and got some answers I got a few pictures from others, Rob if I could get some pictures from you on your pans that would be much appreciated. I know I could make one but I don't think I'm gonna have the time. So most likely buy from jim.curious as to what it looks like inside your arch with the pan on

Marvel26
11-15-2015, 07:12 PM
I added some pic's to my album: http://mapletrader.com/maplegallery/g624-first-boil-ever.html hope they help.

Don't forget to ask SL when their deadline is for spring orders.....they go fast as the season gets closer

jbutton
11-15-2015, 07:45 PM
Perfect thank you and I will certainly ask

Ed R
11-21-2015, 07:43 AM
Leader is now making a hybrid pan to fit their half pint, 2x4, and 2x6 arches. The flues run the full length of the center section, with draw offs on each side. The price point for the entire set up was only $300 more for the version with flues than an original half pint. That might be another option. Leader is calling it "half pint supreme".

jbutton
11-21-2015, 10:44 AM
Thanks Ed. When did they start making them.

Ed R
11-21-2015, 09:11 PM
They just started making them. They were not even listed 2 weeks ago on their weebsite. I saw them at the LEME expo. I would get a hold of your local Leader dealer, they probably have more info.

jbutton
11-22-2015, 05:04 PM
Thanks that dealer would be leader its self. Which I have a uncle that works there,so I will have to get ahold of him.thanks again

jbutton
11-24-2015, 11:43 AM
Ok so leader has something like a hybrid pan but nothing that interest me. Got a quote of 2530 on a set of pans for a 2x4 arch

derekp
12-04-2015, 06:45 AM
Jbutton, did you talk to jim at Smoky lake?ask him about Badgerland Mapleworks pans he has for another option. I'm in the same boat as you, debating what route to go, hybrid or regular set of pans

bstewar
12-04-2015, 11:38 AM
One thing to consider about a hybrid pan....if you happen to have an incident like burn you syrup pan (nobody ever does that) beyond repair you would likely be on the hook to replace the whole pan set rather than replace the syrup pan. Generally flue pans last a lot longer with the syrup pan being replaced from time to time. How many pan sets have we seen where the flue pan is original but the syrup pan has been replaced....

Marvel26
12-06-2015, 05:14 PM
I may be about to put my foot in my mouth here as I don't have much experience with my hybrid yet......but.... I think it would be very difficult to burn the flue section.

The sap in the flue section never really turns more than an "off-clear" colour. There is another descriptor which fits perfectly but its not really a nice thing to refer making syrup to ;-) I could see the final syrup section burning very easily and the first syrup section if things went awry. Those two sections would be into the charcoal stage before the flue pan started to crisp up.

bstewar, would a TiG "artist" be able cut out the syrup section and weld in a new bottom?

Rob

bstewar
12-07-2015, 05:24 PM
I agree...burning a flue pan would be quite a feat to accomplish. I suppose a good welder could replace the syrup pan section.?

Marvel26
12-07-2015, 08:24 PM
I agree...burning a flue pan would be quite a feat to accomplish. I suppose a good welder could replace the syrup pan section.?

I can make metal stick together but that's it! I watched the pan like a hawk last year and panicked a couple times when the syrup section was only 1/2" deep at the tap!

jbutton
12-08-2015, 08:37 AM
I ordered the hybrid pan.

jbutton
12-08-2015, 08:49 AM
I agree you need to watch the level of sap/syrup in the pan. Like a hawk.just like the big rigs.

jbutton
12-08-2015, 08:51 AM
Also I am a tig welder. So I can repair it. I just don't have the time to build my own