PDA

View Full Version : 5x12 pitch and spray foam insulation

Big Stoney
10-24-2015, 04:53 PM
I have read a steeper pitch would be better, but should we be okay with 5x12 and metal roofing? Also, we are considering spraying two inches of foam on the underside of the roof for insulation and to prevent condensation. Is this product going to need to be covered or is it okay exposed in the sugar house. Still trying to learn and trying to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Super Sapper
10-24-2015, 06:15 PM
I just built an addition to the garage and use an insulation they use in cow barns for concensation. It is about 1 inch and has a plastic sheet on the underside. It costs about $.25 a square foot. That is about all I know as I got it through the pole barn builder.

lew
10-25-2015, 06:19 AM
insulation under the metal roofing is a big plus for preventing condensation. They make a product that is 1/4" thick with a foil face made for just such conditions. I believe it is called fan fold insulation and is available at Lowes. It comes folded up accordion style and is 4 feet wide I believe. This is what I used and it worked great. Have you looked at the price of the spray foam insulation? The price will scare the heck out of you. I was considering it for insulating my new RO room because it is a superior product, but in order to insulate a 10 x 18 room was going to cost over $1,000. If you just worried about the condensation the I would go with the fan fold, if you are insulating the whole sugar house to keep it warm, then I might consider it. If you would like to see the fan fold in place, you can come over the hill sometime and take a look.

GeneralStark
10-25-2015, 07:42 AM
My understanding is that with spray foam, it should be covered with sheathing of some sort. As Lew said if you are planning to insulate the whole sugarhouse, spray foam may make sense but to just prevent condensation it is probably not the best option cost wise.

Will you be boiling with open pans and a cupola or with hoods and stacks?

n8hutch
10-25-2015, 08:03 AM
If I was building a new shack, which I intend to do next summer, I would consider covering all surfaces that are near evaporator and bottling area with washable fiberglass or composit panneling. Just my 2 cents & what I intend to do next summer.

Big Stoney
10-25-2015, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the helpful information. I am hoping to have a steam hood and stack so I do not think that condensation will be too big a problem. I would like to take the extra measure to prevent moisture and hold in some of the heat. Was it difficult to put in the fan fold insulation? I have also read that they make a product that goes on top of the trusses, but below the purlins. It may be a little tricky to install. My builder did not know anything about that product.

lew
10-26-2015, 04:53 AM
Easy to install. Just lay it out and staple it down before you put your tin on