PDA

View Full Version : Is this archboard?

Maplehead
02-23-2007, 05:53 AM
I just purchased and picked up some ceramic fiber refractory board. It's green and truely fibrious looking, like a brillo pad but denser. I thought it was supposed to be white and more like sheet rock.

Is this correct?

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
02-23-2007, 06:15 AM
I would say it allright. The stuff I bought from a furnace refractorie place in NH was the same as what you are describing. I think royalmaple is also using the same.

royalmaple
02-23-2007, 08:12 AM
Bingo-

Same stuff here. Cuts pretty easy with a blade too.

hydrogeo
02-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Breezy Lane,

Any chance you'd share the name and location of the supplier in NH. I have a hunch my tile backer board ain't gonna work.

HanginAround
02-23-2007, 09:29 AM
The stuff I've seen looked more like drywall, but as long as the stuff you got is refactory bd, then should be fine. If you can get the specs on the stuff you got, you can compare it to the other stuff, especially for heat transmittance.

802maple
02-23-2007, 10:21 AM
SRI( Salem refractories)is the name of the company that it comes from in londonderry 603 434 4455

Maplehead
02-27-2007, 06:05 AM
Haven't been able to get to this lately. Thanks for the replies.

I'm building a new home rig and am going to use this stuff in replace of brick. I got 1.5" thickness. I hope that's insulating enough. I also got .5" blanket that I might use between the "board" and the metal skin.

Since I'm using this everywhere inside the evap, and most importantly where the wood's burning, I'm thinking about protecting it from the wood with plasterers diamond mesh metal. Maybe one or two layers. I hope it doesn't melt on me.

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
02-27-2007, 06:08 AM
I would still think it would be wise to at least brick from the front of the arch to a little past the grates, where the wood will always be beating it up. Just my opinion.

Cardigan99
03-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Maplehead, how did you come across Salem Refractories. I tried to look them up online and there wasn't much in the way of a website.

Todd

802maple
03-01-2007, 08:06 PM
They don't have much of a website. They still do things the old fashion way with a phone and a pencil, That is why I put the phone number LOL

+++++++++++++++
603 434 4455
+++++++++++++++

Cardigan99
03-02-2007, 05:39 PM
sorry about that 802 didn't mean to confuse you with maplehead. Sometimes the fingers are faster than the brain. and sometimes the brain......... well you know.

I'm originally from that area and get down there once a month or so. Any idea what temp it's rated for?

Maplehead
03-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Hi All

Sorry for the late reply.

The archboard if I recall correctly rates about 1900 degrees.

The ceramic blanket I bought on eBay was higher at 2300.

I just completed my evaporator this afternoon and am firing it up tomorrow morning.

I'll have pics and all tomorrow evening. It's a cool homemade evap using no bricks.

By the way, I cut that archboard with a steak knife.

Oh, call the archboard dealer before going there. When I went two weeks ago I got the last box in stock.