PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the trees themselves.

DuncanFTGC/SS
10-14-2015, 10:48 AM
Morning Everyone,
After spending the summer finding, measuring and marking maple trees, I have more trees than I have equipment to handle! I think that that is a good problem. In the course of my wandering I came across several situations that I am not sure what the best way to proceed is?

1. I have a twin stem maple, that at 5 feet above the ground, both trunks are 23 inches in diameter. Could I put 4 taps in that?
2. I have a clump of small maples, 6 or so feet in diameter, with multiple trees. There are about a dozen in the 2 to 4 inch range, and 3 in the 6 inch range. I was going to tap a couple of the smaller ones to see what I get, and then next summer cut all of them out except the 3 big ones. Is this the right thing to do, or should I leave a few more small ones in that clump?
3. I measured about 40 trees that are in the 9 to almost 10 inch range, any guess as too how long before they get to 10 inches?
4. There is a lot of downed trees and brush around some of the maples, I plan on clearing around each tree for easier access, and cutting down any other trees that are within about 6 feet of each maple? Any other ideas or thoughts on clearing out access. I have about 40 trees that are in the middle of a whole mess of 20 foot balsams that died and fell over, it is a tangled mess. I need to clear some paths, just to get in and out.
5. My property was completely logged off by the former owner, my father, about 45 years ago. My property really reflects that, all in all it is a really nice piece of property, I just want to make it better. I have enough trees that when I am tapping them all I can pay all of my property tax. I would be very happy with the land paying for itself!

unc23win
10-14-2015, 12:35 PM
1. Tap both 2 each.
2. Your plan sounds good. Others do similar. Not all will make it.
3. Tap 9" trees 10" is a guideline not law. Most trees grow about .5 inches a year some less.
4. Depends on how you are collecting.
5. Awesome and good luck!

Jebediah
10-14-2015, 01:22 PM
The comment about taxes is interesting. I was told that generations ago in New England, the time to tap was just after the town meeting--because this dictated what the tax bill would be, which in turn dictated how many trees a farmer needed to tap.

DuncanFTGC/SS
10-14-2015, 02:35 PM
The comment about taxes is interesting. I was told that generations ago in New England, the time to tap was just after the town meeting--because this dictated what the tax bill would be, which in turn dictated how many trees a farmer needed to tap.

I like that, and I could see those old New England Farmers thinking that way!!!!

Michael Greer
11-01-2015, 06:46 PM
Thin out and clear until your woodshed is full to the brim. Do that every year and you'll never find yourself looking for firewood...just tidying up.