PDA

View Full Version : More set up questions

PrimitiveOperation
02-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Hi Guys,

That time is here and I'm scrabbling to get ready.

I've been tinkering with a 2x4 Grimm Lighting with raised flues and have a goal of boiling water by Saturday. Got a few more questions for everyone.

1. Should the evaporator be level or have a pitch to it?

2. Any suggestions as to where to start the sap and syrup floats at? I have no idea.

3. How much should I fill it to start?

4. How much sap do you tink I should have before I fire it?

Thank you all very much I couldn't have made it this far without your help.

maple flats
02-22-2007, 08:23 PM
The evap should be level. I suggest you start with the sap about 1.5" above the raised flue part and as you get some experience gradually reduce that to an inch. Same with the syrup pan. To start fill it to the levels stated above. Then fire it up and fuel it often. I do mine every 7 minutes. As far as how much sap before you boil a good rule of thumb is to take the stated hourly evap rate and triple it, this is the minimum you should have to boil.
Good luck and enjoy the season.

brookledge
02-22-2007, 08:23 PM
Keep your pans level. You will need to set the float for the flue pan so that there is about 1.5" over the top of the flues. And set the second float for the syrup pan around the same level.
The sap should enter the flue pan the farthest away from your draw off. I'm not sure if your pan is set up for reversing the flow but if it is you need to reverse the flow in your flue pan also
You really only need enough sap to fill it plus 20-30 more gallons to get started and get the hang of it. Start off with a easy boil and see how many gallons per hr. it will do and then you can begin to gauge your future boils.
Good luck
Keith

325abn
02-22-2007, 08:26 PM
1. Level

2.The same side that you plan on drawing off your syrup from your syrup pan. Then the next boil switch sides.

3.For my first first boil I used about 20 gal on my 2x4 raised flue. Just to get the feel of it then just enough to protect the pan.

4.Judge that by your evap rate.

Bucket Head
02-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Hello. It does'nt sound like your operation is that primitive. I've seen some rough set up's and my first couple of year's were a lot more primitive than your's! But it was a lot of fun!

Your evaporator and pan should be level so the sap level is even throuhgout the pan. You don't want high and low spot's in the pan(s).

You don't want anything less than an inch of sap over the flue's and in the syrup pan. That's the level I try to hold in my rig. You might want to go with a little more sap in both pan's until you see how quick it evaporate's. It's better to have a little "cushion" while your still experimenting and feeling thing's out.

As for the float's, fill the pan's to where you want the level and set them there. You will have to adjust them (we call it "fine tuning") after your up and running. This is part of the "experimenting".

I would say you would want to have 100-125 gallons of sap on hand. Remember, it's going to take a certain amount of sap to fill the pan's so you can fire it. I know when we fired our's up the first time I had 200 gallons on hand but it took a little over 40 gal. to fill the pans. Maybe someone else on this site has an evaporator like your's and could share what they know about it? I hope this info help's. Good luck!

Steve

Bucket Head
02-22-2007, 10:38 PM
I did'nt mean to sound like I was repeating/copying what was said in the previous post's. Everyone got their messages posted before I got done typing mine.

I guess I'm a better syrup maker than typist!

Steve

PrimitiveOperation
02-23-2007, 07:20 AM
Thank You Everyone!!!

Hope to be boiling sap in a few days and this new set up has me nervous. I'm sure I'll need some more pointers soon.

royalmaple
02-23-2007, 08:15 AM
You can always run it for a couple of hours with water. Just have a hose nearby and let it rip. Then you won't hurt a darn thing. Get the pre-game jitters out with the water.

Then come game day you'll be all set for the long haul.

325abn
02-23-2007, 08:54 AM
Deffently do a tst boil with water before you boil sap! I have done several with mine and will boil more water one last time this weekend.