PDA

View Full Version : 48 years ago today

maple flats
10-13-2015, 04:49 AM
On this date in 1967 a good friend and I went swimming in my parents pool for a couple of hours. It was in upstate NY and was not heated. OH, and by the way, he was my Best Man that evening, Friday the 13th, of Oct. 1967, Joan became my wife, and I'd do it all over again, the marriage not the swim in an unheated pool. Today, to celebrate our anniversary we are going to get a new freezer, our 5 yr old one quit for the second time. It is an upright, we are going back to a chest freezer.

DrTimPerkins
10-13-2015, 06:58 AM
... Friday the 13th, of Oct. 1967, Joan became my wife

Congratulations Dave. Might be just about warm enough to swim today if you do it early before the weather changes. ;^)

My wife (Anita) and I also got married on a Friday the 13th (August 1982)....a date we very deliberately choose, but which confused our family and friends greatly. We both liked the idea of starting our marriage with a bit of bad luck (supposedly), and August 13th (not a Friday the year they married) was also my in-laws wedding anniversary.

RC Maple
10-13-2015, 07:05 AM
Congrats on your anniversary! You probably didn't have much competition to find a place to hold the wedding on Friday the 13th. I went swimming in the pond last Thursday - probably for the last time in '15, I was out in 10 minutes though. Happy anniversary!

BreezyHill
10-13-2015, 08:11 AM
Dave, In todays society to find a partner that lasts a few years is normal, to find one to last 10 years is not too odd, to find one to last 20 years is uncommon, to find one that lasts 49 years is rare and shows that you have the abilities to cultivate, nurture, repair, and to enjoy.

All you need to do is to find a freezer as good as your wife and take care of it as you have your wife and you will be just fine. :lol:

Congratulations on the mile stone!

in three Days my wife and I celebrate 23 years and our chest freezer is around 40 years old and still going strong...something good about them chest freezers.

maple flats
10-13-2015, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the replies. Our last chest freezer was bought in 1969 and it lasted until 2010. The current upright has failed twice now in 5 years, we went back to a chest freezer.
At present, we are both still in fairly good health and are both active. Joan loves to garden so she has a 3/4 acre very productive garden, it serves our needs, several relative's needs and some friend's needs as well. Then the rest, yes there is more, is given to the community food bank.
I of course do maple, but I also tend my 4.5 acres of u-pick blueberries AND I do some custom sawing with my sawmill, however I no longer transport it, the logs must now be hauled to my site.
We both plan to remain together for as long as we are still alive.
My parents made it to 62 yrs, when my dad died at the age of 91.

ALSMAPLE
10-13-2015, 10:57 AM
Dave,I'm sorry to tell you you'll never find a freezer as good as your wife!
Just like me,you got lucky and made a good decision!Happy Anniversary and give our best to Joan.Alan and Liza.

PACMAN
10-13-2015, 06:34 PM
Congrats to you and your wife.Been with mine 33 years. had countless freezers.lol

MISugarDaddy
10-14-2015, 05:31 AM
Congratulations Dave on you and your wife's anniversary. At least you chose to get married in the fall instead of like my wife and I did, on March 31st. We didn't think that one through too well, because we have only gone out to dinner on our anniversary once since we started doing syrup. It is nice to see you got each other a functional gift for your anniversary. On our first anniversary (over 25 years ago), I got my wife a shovel that she said she wanted...and she didn't even hit me with it!!!
Gary

maple flats
10-14-2015, 08:56 AM
We get to go out to dinner most anniversaries. It used to interfere with bow season if it fell on a Sat. or Sunday, but I made it thru. Unfortunately, one shoulder will net let me hold my bow at full draw for more that 2-3 seconds, so I now have a crossbow. NYS throws a monkey wrench in buy not allowing a crossbow for deer in the southern zone until Nov. 7 so that allows me to have a nice anniversary with my wife. Yes, I could get a dr.'s note stating my shoulder problem and get a handicap exemption but I haven't YET.
Thanks Alan and Lisa. I did hit the jackpot. Some couples don't last as long as my last freezer did. We are truly blessed.

highlandcattle
10-25-2015, 06:39 AM
Good for you two! When we met,Ron and I thought you were the nicest couple. Have another great year

maple flats
10-25-2015, 06:56 AM
And we enjoyed meeting you two. The our thoughts were the same towards you too. We appreciate your good wishes.