PDA

View Full Version : 12V portable sap pump options??

optionguru
10-11-2015, 07:33 PM
I've read a lot of threads about pumping sap but none seem to hit on my situation. I have a 300 gallon cage tank on the back of my plow truck that I plan on collecting sap with. I'm collecting from a couple of locations, each a few miles away from the sugar shack. Each location will have a couple of 30 to 50 gallon barrels that I need to pump up out of. I would also love it if the same pump could be used to then pump from the tote tank into the holding tank at the sugar house. Each scenario will require pumping the sap 6' to 8' up from ground level.

Thanks for any info you can give me,
Pete

SeanD
10-12-2015, 12:25 AM
That's the same set up I have. Here's a thread that helped me.
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?24236-12v-Rule-Pump-Question

Sean

Super Sapper
10-12-2015, 05:36 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Seaflo-Marine-Plumbing-Electric-3700gph/dp/B00EGEFTZC

This is what I use and works pretty good.

BreezyHill
10-12-2015, 08:13 AM
Depending on what your plow truck has for a plow angle system I would use a hydraulic driven pump. I use a pump with a hydraulic motor on it. I have a large pump that can do upto 500 gpm. On a 2" suction line and with 30' of line she will only do 2000G in 15 minutes.

With the pump o the front of the truck you can nose into the barrels and send the supply hose over the cab to the cages. Put a swing check valve on the suction line, camlocks with a plug or cap, and a ball valve on the pump inlet and you wont need to reprime the pump every time.

There was a nice little pump on a weed wacker motor at the auction on Saturday. 10' of 1" suction with a swing check on the end. That would be a great little pump there.

WESTMAPLES
10-12-2015, 09:10 AM
i have a nice 2 hp gas 1 inch sap pump with everything you need, reciever hitch swing out mount, 2-10ft hoses with cam locks for easy direction change, ect ive used it for 3 years and have outgrown it great unit pumps fast and up to 45 psi of pressure have used it for pumping sap and washing lines up to 20 feet of lift without a problem its posted craigslist under farm & garden in western mass haven`t posted it here yet and price is negotiable

optionguru
10-12-2015, 10:54 AM
WESTMAPLES, I'm intrigued but I'm in Northern NH, probably more than 3 hours from you. Do you ever come north on 91? How much are you asking. I've done more and more reading and am not conflicted between a bilge pump 12v set up and a gas powered Honda WX10 type of set up like you have.

WESTMAPLES
10-12-2015, 12:23 PM
in about a month im going up to bascoms to pickup a few things check out my CL add it has pics and PM me or call me