PDA

View Full Version : Saving An Old Delaval Tank !!

n8hutch
10-05-2015, 06:42 AM
About 25 years ago we had A sugar Bush 1000 yds from the Home I live in today. So last weekend I poked around over there knowing that the Main line was still there . It was Hard To Find because the new Growth & Brush has taken over but sure enough there was An Old Milk Tank there right where my Dad left it.
I Talked to My Neighbor who I Had recently repaired An Arctic Cat 4-wheeler for & he agreed to help me get it out of there. Yesterday was the Day and the Move went pretty smoothly once we got to it, my neighbor also has A old Cat loader that came in Handy.
I measured the Tank, looks to be A 250 Gallon Delaval Speedway bulk tank, Steele outside & stainless inside, with A Hinged stainless lid that needs a little work to put back on.
I want to paint it, its original color , appears to have been grey on the outside but its hard to tell, may have been light blue. Any ideas? I meant to take some pics in the woods but like a moron I forgot. Here's a few pics.

Thompson's Tree Farm
10-05-2015, 07:22 AM
My old DeLaval was grey on the outside

BreezyHill
10-05-2015, 07:25 AM
Nice find. Those are a very good tank.

Original color is a blue that is very light to gray. Never found a good replacement code yet. I have the same model in a 400 gallon size to repaint.

The best feature is the O ring internal valve on these tanks. Seldom will it freeze and not drain. So these tanks are great to let freeze, drain off the concentrated sap and let the ice go.

sand off the flaking rust and give it one or two coats of POR 15 and then a top coat of your color and you are good to go for many years.

POR is pricey but it will stop and seal the rust for several years of service.

Ben