PDA

View Full Version : Sugarbush roadways

wilcox_11
09-26-2015, 09:33 AM
I recently bought some land with a 5 acre sugarbush. How do you guys layout your roads through your sugarbush. Pictures would be appreciated. thanks shawn

madmapler
09-26-2015, 10:46 AM
Its tough because every bush is different. Are you running pipe line? Is it flat or steep? Does it need to be thinned or cleared of dead and unwanted trees? More info would help.

wilcox_11
09-26-2015, 10:55 AM
It is on a hill. Dead and other species I have already removed. PLans are to have a pipeline within the next couple years.

madmapler
09-26-2015, 02:35 PM
I would try to layout where the mainlines are going and figure out the grade and height of them. I use a sight level. Mark the locations and heights with tree paint or flagging and put the road or roads along them or run underneath where you have enough height. You can use sap ladders to get under lines if it's necessary so long as you're going to use vacuum.

BreezyHill
09-26-2015, 10:17 PM
Most of our mains are on the up hill side of our roads. This makes it easier to pack snow in winters like last winter. Our roads run north/ south with conncetors that run east/ west. The connector roads are accommodated with Stainless steel camlocks in the mains if they need to be used. On the far north end of the property there is a road that has no lines across it and the far south end is similar with another main that runs west and up hill with 7 ladders. All access is under ladders here. Our slope is about 2% from north to south but from west to east it is from 1-5% with a valley running thru the center and the slope reverses some after the valley making ladders necessary. And of course the sap house is on the southern and western corner. So some is gravity but most is laddered to the sugar house. 10 ladders now. Another bush is on the south end of the farm 2800' away but 1.5% slope to the sugar house and across the road. only 75 of the 400 taps will need to be laddered up a bank to the wet/dry mainline system. That bush is about 5 ac of large trees.
Figure where you want your mains and then work your roads around your lines.

There really is no wrong way just a matter of what your bush needs to make it work well for you.

lpakiz
09-26-2015, 10:25 PM
I attended a seminar on tubing several years ago. One of the concepts that was taught was to have all laterals come into the main from one side only, obviously the high side, down to each mainline. This allows you to drive along all mains with any kind of equipment, and have some access to every area among the laterals. Of course, you will need to drive to the "open" end of the mainline to enter each lane, but it works very well. Another advantage is when checking for vacuum leaks, you can walk or drive along the mains and check each lateral and its saddle for leaks without having to step over or duck under a lateral.
Lay out the proposed mainline location with twine and see how they look in relation to the trees you will tap. The twine is a lot easier to adjust and change than wire.
It was also stressed to not have a lateral more than 100 feet in length. This means that most times, the mains will have to run parallel to each other and less than 100 feet apart. This can be adjusted a bit if there doesn't happen to be any trees in a certain vicinity.
And you are ahead of the game with another concept. That was to cut out any tree that you do not want or do not think will last for 10 years, BEFORE you string the first wire.

TRAILGUY
09-27-2015, 06:45 AM
check out 3/16 before you start tubing. plan road near the lowest area. I have to many road crossing and a few freeze up going thru culverts. plan for change (collecting).

wilcox_11
09-29-2015, 01:12 AM
This may be a stupid question but this 3/16 tubing is the mainline now? From what I am seeing in videos and pictures. How many laterals or taps can go on each 3/16 mainline? thanks

check out 3/16 before you start tubing. plan road near the lowest area. I have to many road crossing and a few freeze up going thru culverts. plan for change (collecting).

Super Sapper
09-29-2015, 05:22 AM
You snake the 3/16 from tree to tree and then after you drop down your 30 feet in elevation or whatever you have, you can either go into your storage tank or into a "mainline" of 3/4 or larger to pick up several lines and then to your storage tank.

wilcox_11
09-29-2015, 06:51 PM
How many taps can be run on each 3/16 line to obtain a good vaccum?

You snake the 3/16 from tree to tree and then after you drop down your 30 feet in elevation or whatever you have, you can either go into your storage tank or into a "mainline" of 3/4 or larger to pick up several lines and then to your storage tank.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-29-2015, 06:54 PM
Minimum of 4 up to 25. Proctor has went as high as 37 but they recommend 25 and that number seems to be a good maximum from my experience.