PDA

View Full Version : Best pump solution for small hobbyist

katmike
09-18-2015, 07:28 AM
I have viewed most of the threads and just don't know what my best pump option is. Need some feedback.

I am setting up some of my taps on 3/16 for gravity and will have a 65 gallon horizontal tank for collection. Due to placement of the tank in the bottom of a ravine, the only way to remove sap from the tank is to pump it uphill to the transport tank on my Kawasaki Mule. I would estimate the vertical difference at around 15 feet. I have a cabin nearby and can take advantage of 120 v AC to run the pump.

So.... the most I would expect to pump daily assuming full capacity is only 65 gallons. Am I looking at a submersible inside the tank or a pump outside that's connected to the drain side of the tank?

Time is not that important but I really don't want to sit there for more than 10 minutes for it to empty but for this setup I can't really justify spending lots of money.... I am thinking around $150 tops, but if I don't have any good options I might go higher.

unc23win
09-18-2015, 07:35 AM
I would just use a submersible sump pump you can get one for $50-$300 pretty much anywhere. (price depends on what material it is made out of) Take it out after pumping so it drains and won't freeze.

western mainer
09-18-2015, 07:39 AM
This is what I use.
http://www.amazon.com/PLS100-Portable-Stainless-Sprinkling-Strainer/dp/B0002YVPSK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442579860&sr=8-2&keywords=sprinkler+pump
Brian

GeneralStark
09-18-2015, 09:19 AM
There are lots of pump options out there but if you care whether it is food grade or for potable water that will limit your options. If a pump's specs. don't specify whether or not it is for potable water, it is generally best to assume it is not.

mudr
09-18-2015, 09:26 AM
There are lots of pump options out there but if you care whether it is food grade or for potable water that will limit your options. If a pump's specs. don't specify whether or not it is for potable water, it is generally best to assume it is not.

This is a problem that I have found. I would like a pump soon, but there just are not many (any?) out there that do what we need them to do and be for potable water. I recall Brian Ex had a thread that he was documenting his search for such a pump and came up woefully short on options.

VT_K9
09-19-2015, 07:41 AM
For over 20 years we have used a Wayne pump, found at most hardware stores. We use a length of black poly into the barrel/storage container on the suction end with a short run of a flexible hose which is rated for suction. We have pumped nearly 400' and about a 40' in elevation. At this pump station we had 2 55 gallon drums on their sides which received two separate lines. We still have the original pump, but have replaced the magnets a couple times. We have since up graded our pump because we need to move more sap a greater distance with more elevation (600 gallons, 750', 70'). I would highly recommend the Wayne pump. We ran romex wire over the ground to the pump stations. We picked this up every year. Make sure you drain the pump after every use to avoid freezing...not hard to do.

Good luck,

Mike