PDA

View Full Version : what's the wet spot?

softmaple
02-21-2007, 06:48 PM
I setup non-vented tubing this week and I'm seeing a two to four inch wet spot around the hole, and there is sap in the line. Should I be concerned about this wet spot on the trunk of the tree around the tap hole?

brookledge
02-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Either you have not tapped the spout in far enough or else you tapped it too hard and split the wood. Tapping when the tree is frozen it is very easy to split the tree if you are not expeirienced with frozen tapping.
If you have split the tree there is nothing you can do. If it is seeping because it wasn't tapped in enough then tap it in alittle more.
When I'm tapping I use a small hammer around 6 oz. and it is about 6" long
Hopefully it is seeping because you haven't set the spout in enough.
Keith

softmaple
02-21-2007, 07:45 PM
well it was firm but not nailing it. this is my first tubing exercise. the tubing is full, could it be seeping out air pressure? does wet spots apear around plastic spiles?

brookledge
02-21-2007, 08:05 PM
See what others have to say. What I wrote is my experience.
Good luck.
Keith

maplehound
02-21-2007, 08:13 PM
I almost always have to go back and retap on each spile just a little. At first I get alot of wet spots arounf my taps. Most though will stop seeping after another tap with a small hammer.

Fred Henderson
02-21-2007, 08:24 PM
Do you tubing guys ues a metal,wood or rubber hammer?

VA maple guy
02-21-2007, 09:09 PM
I have about 75 taps on tubing, I use a snapon 10 oz plastic no bounce hammer.

PA mapler
02-21-2007, 09:14 PM
I have a regular claw hammer, but give the tap a few careful, light tinks until I hear the sound change to a "thunk". I rarely see any leaks or cracks.

Beth

oldemaple
02-21-2007, 10:02 PM
Another reason why you might have a wet spot is that the hole was not drilled cleanly. If the bit did not go in and out again cleanly, you might have a ragged edge at the bark which would allow the sap to weep out.

Maple Valley
02-21-2007, 11:33 PM
I like to use the small orange plastic dead blow hammer to set taps, like it was said earlier the sound changes went they get tight. We have had good luck not breaking them.

maple flats
02-22-2007, 05:32 AM
I use the flat side of a med size pair of linemans pliers and just tap lightly. Rarely see any seeping but a few need another light tap or 2. Sometimes freezes after a flow can push them loose enough to seep but usually not. Nothing should seep.

802maple
02-22-2007, 09:53 AM
When I saw the wet spot around the hole problem, I wasn't sure where this thread was going LOL.
With all seriousness probably when it freezes it is pushing the spout out alittle

royalmaple
02-22-2007, 10:02 AM
Mike-

What taps are you using?

I had a bear of a time with the CDL stubby and reducers last year. They just don't seem to seat well, and leaked like a son of a gun. It did go away, but took longer than normal. If you got the CDL taps might be the problem or some of it anyway. If you take one and hold it up to a reducer from lapierre you'll see the difference in the flare, about 3/4 inch back the lapierres really flare out and seat well those CDL ones are ever so slightly tapered, really not much at all for about 2 inches. I did notice they seemed to change them this year and they flare more quickly but not like the lapierre ones.

Could be what you are running into.

PA mapler
02-22-2007, 11:43 AM
When you're tapping a frozen tree, is the "sound" different from a thawed tree? I've always tapped the trees when they're running, but this year I might not be able to wait for another good thaw. Do you seat them more lightly?

softmaple
02-22-2007, 01:57 PM
i am using leaders 5/16 tree savers spout. its damp around it, not that its dripping from it. this is my first tubbing application and trying to figure out if its the norm. my lines are full. with 22 taps on a run of around 250ft and around 40ft drop all on 5/16 tubing due to cost. should there be sap stagnet in the lines? or so it seems. im not venting it

802maple
02-22-2007, 05:23 PM
If sap gets in the line and runs on the shaded side of a tree in these temperatures it can freeze there and until it thaws out it will not move. If I understand you right you are saying the lines are full, so that could be happening. That will create pressure and it will get wet around the hole also.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-22-2007, 08:06 PM
I use a 16 ounce claw hammer and have mainly Leader spouts and some Lappierre. I tap them in 3 or 4 times and the sound and feel with the hammer will change when they are seated. I tapped most of my trees this year when the trees were still frozen hard and I haven't seen any leaking so far. I like the rings on the Leader and Lapierre spouts and they seem to prevent some sap loss and help seal better.