PDA

View Full Version : Air tight arch warping?

randomseeker
09-10-2015, 12:58 PM
I am in the final stages of selecting a 2 1/2 x 8 evaporator with arch. I have been getting quite excited about the output of an airtight arch. I seem to be down to two manufacturers. The dealer, from whom I normally buy (local) and sells Lapierre that doesn't make an airtight arch in the model in which I am interested says that his experience is that airtight arches can warp from the heat after a couple of years, which is why he no longer sells an airtight arch for that make. The other dealer (distant) is actually the manufacturer (Smokey Lake) and has had many good reviews on this forum, but not specifically about his arch.

Can anybody share their experience with airtight arches in a similar size?

Super Sapper
09-11-2015, 06:28 AM
If insulated properly the metal should never get hot enough to warp.

nymapleguy607
09-11-2015, 07:35 AM
If insulated properly the metal should never get hot enough to warp.

Sapper hit the nail on the head.

If the arch is insulated right warping should not be a problem. That being said you need to be diligent in checking the insulation and bricking before and after the season and make repairs if needed. I built my airtight arch and it has about 3.5" of insulation thoughout the firebox It has held up fairly well for the past 3 years, but its going to need some attention this fall.

n8hutch
09-11-2015, 07:44 AM
I second that, keep it dry & Insulated well & it should last a very long time, my fire box has 2" of insulation & full bricks and you can hold your hand on the side's & the Arch rails.in the flue pan area I have 2 " of insulation and it is cool to the touch. Equipment doe's fail sometimes but often people failed to use it properly.