PDA

View Full Version : Why do Squirrels Chew Tubing?

Marvel26
09-06-2015, 08:22 PM
I took my 3 yr old daughter for a walk through our little sugarbush last weekend and the tubing was "chewed" at every tree.....I know this happens and although I would like to complain it is doubtful I would receive any sympathy lol.

I'm just wondering why they chew? Is it just to see if the tube tastes good??

on a more positive note the sapdog busted 5 grouse and 2 woodcock :-)

sugarsand
09-07-2015, 05:47 AM
Squirrels have a need to be as big of a P-I-A as possible.:lol:

sugarsand

maple flats
09-07-2015, 07:03 AM
While they mostly chew it because they smell either salts from cleaning or fermented sap thru the tubing, they do sometimes chew new, never used tobing. Could be from smelling salts from your hands and fingerprints or just as sugarsand said, to be a P-I the A.

GeneralStark
09-07-2015, 07:22 AM
I don't think we will ever understand why squirrels do what they do but I'm sure there is a reason.

madmapler
09-07-2015, 07:29 AM
Bears, I'm told, are attracted to the petroleum in plastics. That's why guys get so many nose shots of them on their game cameras. I've lost 2 gas cans to bear attacks in recent years. I just assume its probably the same with squirrels.

sugarsand
09-07-2015, 02:25 PM
Squirrel damage here was always a major problem, recently their numbers have plummeted due to the dreaded .22 desease.

sugarsand

Jebediah
09-07-2015, 06:29 PM
Because they're evil. I bought a plastic deer feeder and after eating all the feed, they ate the feeder.

spud
09-08-2015, 08:01 AM
Because they're evil. I bought a plastic deer feeder and after eating all the feed, they ate the feeder.

Thats because you let the feeder go empty. Now the whole deer herd is cursing you. Haha

BreezyHill
09-08-2015, 07:53 PM
I have to side with the compound in or on the tubing theory.
There was a compound in the Leader 30P that has attacked them in our bush. But to chew several feet of tubing is more than a nutrient deficiency issue. On the other hand we did find a squirrel nest in an old tree with plenty of chew tubing in the crevice.

Lead is a good tool to limit the chewing...high speed that is.

DrTimPerkins
09-09-2015, 10:59 AM
I'm just wondering why they chew?

I suspect this may be one of those "Why did the chicken cross the road?" type questions.

The front teeth of rodents continue to grow throughout their lifetime, thus they must chew (gnaw) on things to continuously wear them down and keep them sharp. Anything around them is subject to being chewed upon.

Acute lead poisoning (a bullet) seems to work best to control them.

StayinLowTech
09-10-2015, 10:25 AM
A sugarmaker here said that in one of his bushes they gnawed on only the fittings and in another bush they gnawed on the tubing. Tells me that it is a learned behavior.

Marvel26
09-19-2015, 09:22 PM
Well, I think I did get some sympathy....kindof lol

High speed lead poisoning may be the ticket ....plus the tail hair makes a great body for great salmon flies!

sugarsand
09-20-2015, 06:00 AM
After reading your last post, it occured to me that several months ago there was some discussion about these furballs being attracted to the color of the tubing. I dont recall which maple site it was on, but it was suggested that one color over another may trigger an attack from treerats. Locally, I've teemed up with the Owls and Hawks to keep them in check. :mrgreen:

sugarsand