PDA

View Full Version : Best Digital thermometer?

Bradenfish
09-05-2015, 03:19 PM
I've tried a couple different $30-$50 digital thermometers that do not last. Any suggestions for a quality long stem digital thermometer for a decent price?
Thanks, Braden

unc23win
09-05-2015, 09:15 PM
What are you using it for? I got mine from Lapierre Dealer works great and has lasted 2 seasons I use it for my tank washer on my RO and sometimes to check syrup. I know some can't handle the constant moisture of say steam coming off evaporator.

Pibster
09-08-2015, 10:19 AM
Check out these. They work great.
http://www.thermoworks.com/

wiam
09-08-2015, 08:58 PM
Have pretty good luck with these.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Maverick-CT-03-Digital-Oil-Candy-Deep-Fryer-Thermometer-NIP-/121747184209?nav=SEARCH

I have seen them at Maple dealers for $35

RC Maple
09-09-2015, 07:23 AM
The Maverick thermometer looks a lot like the one I got from Leader. I got it because I could get a more instant and exact reading for syrup temp than with the thermometer that came with my turkey fryer that was a dial thermometer. The temps on the dial thermometer look more realistic though and I don't really trust the digital one. They certainly don't agree. I just checked it and there is no name on it as to who made it, only that it was...made in China.

maple flats
09-09-2015, 09:14 AM
Have pretty good luck with these.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Maverick-CT-03-Digital-Oil-Candy-Deep-Fryer-Thermometer-NIP-/121747184209?nav=SEARCH

I have seen them at Maple dealers for $35
I used the Maverick, worked perfectly for 2 years.....until I dropped it in the boiling finisher. I got it out in a couple of seconds, but it no longer worked. I now bought 2, so I have a spare. My 1st one was $35 at a Leader dealer. My new ones were $19.99 online + $4.99 ship.

maple6275
10-24-2015, 05:14 AM
I 2nd Pibster's suggestion. The Thermoworks ultra-fast thermapen is the gold standard in my opinion. Worth the investment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SeanD
10-24-2015, 07:46 AM
I use this Taylor thermometer:
http://www.target.com/p/taylor-gourmet-programmable-stainless-steel-probe-thermometer-with-timer/-/A-11011171#prodSlot=medium_1_8&term=taylor+thermometer

I like that it has a long, wire probe that I can put anywhere and leave the unit itself on the counter or beside the evaporator. What I like most though, is I can set my own target temperature and set an alarm for it. For me, that is worth its weight in gold. More than once it has caught me chatting with someone or outside the sugarhouse doing something. I use it from the evaporator right through to bottling in the off season.

The downsides are real, though. I've experienced the same things the people in the reviews have. When they go (and they do go), they give inaccurate temp readings - an obvious deal breaker, right? My way around that is to always have another ready to go. At $17, it's worth it. The shortest time I've had one fail is less than a year, but my current one is about to finish year two.

I would love to have this same functionality from a reliable unit.

Sean

batsofbedlam
10-24-2015, 08:11 AM
Having gone through a few of these thermometers, I realized that the weak point is the connection between the stainless probe and the flexible mesh connection. Submerging this connection into the syrup shorts out the wiring.
I haven't had any issues since I keep the flex part above the hot syrup.

raider
01-31-2016, 10:13 AM
I have tried several of the digital Thermometers with not much luck. Tried the Taylor wire braid probe from "Wal-Mart" -failed- Took it back got a new one -failed- Thought I would upgrade and bought a UET DT 15A at a lot higher price. First batch worked great, second -failed-. This year I just got a ThermoWorks "ThermaQ" with a HD wire probe K 39 has a Teflon Tip for steam boiling water. Talked to a rep. at office, she recommended this for my needs. As with all we shall see. They were very nice to deal with and talked to a person first ring! I am in Wisconsin and tap about first week in March.

chestersugar
01-31-2016, 11:16 AM
They cost alot of money but thermopens are the best, I use ours for everything cooking, brewing and maple. I even managed to drop it in my boiling sap last year and it still works.

zimmermg
01-31-2016, 01:57 PM
Another guy that cant say enough about the thermopen. Expensive but dependable and accurate. I use mine for spot checking maple stuff and barbeque/grilling.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

raider
03-13-2016, 09:08 AM
Look's like this Digital Thermometer is the real deal!! Not one fail and spot on for temp. Used it 6 hours in the pan and then 4 hours in the finish tank. Very happy with the alarm setting. Not cheap but this is a good value for the equipment. I recommend this at this point of use. Will measure a tenth of degree at a time.

SeanD
03-13-2016, 11:24 PM
That's great. Thanks for testing it and giving the review. When I went to look at one I saw the Chefalarm. Did you consider that one? It seems like it will do what I need with reliability. What does the ThermaQ have for the higher price?

johnpma
03-14-2016, 07:57 AM
Threw all mine away went through three this season fro $20-$45 all junk in my opinion.......back to the candy thermometer

SeanD
03-14-2016, 09:37 AM
Those weren't Thermoworks thermometers you had trouble with, right? People speak very highly of those and the Chefalarm they make got excellent reviews from America's Test Kitchen.

johnpma
03-14-2016, 10:21 AM
Those weren't Thermoworks thermometers you had trouble with, right? People speak very highly of those and the Chefalarm they make got excellent reviews from America's Test Kitchen. I don't think so.....maybe we should arrange a group buy for these digital thermometers I'd love one but like mentioned I've gone through so many that I just went back to the candy thermometer

Last one I tried was a "Maverick" from Home Cheapo......lasted one boil

happy thoughts
03-14-2016, 03:40 PM
That's great. Thanks for testing it and giving the review. When I went to look at one I saw the Chefalarm. Did you consider that one? It seems like it will do what I need with reliability. What does the ThermaQ have for the higher price?

The thermaQ is a thermacouple type thermometer (like the thermapen). Thermacouples read the fastest and are considered the most accurate. The chefalarm is a thermasistor, not quite as fast or as accurate but still good and miles ahead of the bimetal dial types which are slow to read and can be very inaccurate. If money is no object, go with a thermacouple type. On a budget go with a thermasistor. Avoid the cheap bimetal ones.

Everything you could ever want to know about thermometer types and the best types to buy is here:
http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/thermometer_buying_guide.html

SeanD
03-14-2016, 08:55 PM
Thanks. Turns out money is an object so I went with the Chefalarm. It has the same two year warranty, so if it craps out in the third year, it will still almost be a break even for the $20/year I'm spending on the cheap-o Taylor thermometers. I have to admit, while they have a short life, they do their job well while they are alive. I just finished off 2 gallons worth of candy tonight and 16 lbs of cream last night with the Taylor. BUT there is something to be said for peace of mind knowing you have the right temp and it's hard to put a price on that.

I'm really excited to have this new thermometer. The low temp alarm sounds great. Sometimes, I get sidetracked and miss when to shut off the draw. And the volume control is nice b/c the music in the shack tends to get louder as the season progresses.

Sean

Daveg
04-11-2016, 08:43 PM
Thermoworks: made in the UK. .7°F accuracy for the ThermaQ