PDA

View Full Version : CDL vs Lapierre vs Patrick Phaneuf vs D&G - 2.5 x 8 Recommendations please

randomseeker
09-01-2015, 08:18 PM
I'm moving up from my Lapierre Junior 18x60 as it can't keep up with my 300 taps. I am considering
- Lapierre Storm 2.5 x 8
- CDL Traditional 2.5 x8
- Patrick Phaneuf Pro Delux 2.5 x 8 (assuming they can make one)
- D&G Model 700 2.5 x 8

These may seem overkill for 300 taps, but I want to get capacity for 500-600.

The Lapierre dealer is most local, although I don't know how much difference that makes. I gather they are all good evaporators, they seem to be within a $1,000 of each other. Does anybody have experiences they can share? Particularly things to watch out for?

n8hutch
09-01-2015, 08:37 PM
I think the CDL is probably the best bang for your buck in that group, Would you consider A Smokey Lake by Jim Schumacher? He has A silverplate series Arch & pans that are pretty hard to beat. Claims 120 gph. I have the pans & love them. Would like to get the Arch in the next few years.

I have compared them in person, the storm is pretty impressive plumbing wise, but I liked the Dividers on the CDL pans because there was no lip from channel to channel. I also thought that the customer service at CDL was Better but that was just my experience.
I ended up with The Smokey Lake pans because I wanted the same side reverse flow, all I have to do is turn 2 valves and the SAP flows through the syrup pan in the opposite direction, also both channels you draw from are closest to the SAP pan. It really works great. No matter what you do I think a 2.5x8 is a great size and you will enjoy boiling on it.

tuckermtn
09-01-2015, 08:45 PM
i have not seen Jim's silverplate arch, but I would add another vote for smoky lake pans.

the one problem for you in Ontario buying a set of pans or entire evaporator from Jim is the weakness of the Canadian dollar makes any US built equipment quite expensive.

nymapleguy607
09-02-2015, 06:58 AM
If I were you the decision would be between the D&G or the Lapierre. CDL is probably cheapest of the bunch but there is reasoning behind that, they seem to build there equipment light so unless you want to upgrade every few years I would shy away. Arnot Forest runs a 3x12 oil fired CDL that is maybe 5 years old, it looks real nice on the outside but it is starting to develop pin holes in the pans. As far as buying from Patrick, most people that have his equipment love it and say it is 2nd to none for build quality, the biggest problem is trying to communicate with him and get it delivered before the season. Just my opinion nut good luck

lpakiz
09-02-2015, 08:21 AM
Jeff,
If the pan is developing pin holes already, wouldn't eveyone who builds or owns a pan of that gauge metal have the same problems?
My Smoky Lake pans are made from 22 gauge, which I had considered industry standard. Mine have only completed 3 seasons, so maybe I'm in for a surprise? Hope not!

nymapleguy607
09-02-2015, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't blame the guage metal, if I had to guess I would say it was the steel supplier. My thought would be they bought cheap steel to save a few pennies and now it is becoming a problem.

n8hutch
09-02-2015, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't blame the guage metal, if I had to guess I would say it was the steel supplier. My thought would be they bought cheap steel to save a few pennies and now it is becoming a problem.
That's interesting you say that I have read a few posts on here about Leader pans having that very same issue. I wonder how many company's actually Make the stainless steel as a raw good.

Excellent point on the Exchange rate, I don't know how far A Canadian dollar actually goes on their side of the line. If I had to guess they pay more than we do for the same Item.

jimsudz
09-02-2015, 07:51 PM
I own a set of lapierre pans. They are2.5x 8 storm pans that are on my custom arch. I'm very pleased with them. I can consistently boil off 100 gal. /hr,on airtight arch and preheater. I would purchase again or I'd go with a set from Smokey Lake. Jim puts out a fine looking set of pans

lakeview maple
09-03-2015, 05:30 PM
Ive got a new 3 x 10 from D&G model 700 and I really like it , its worked flawless and it seems to be built pretty heavy duty, and the time of purchase I contacted all the different dealers and D&G was the winner , service has been great , just my 2 cents good luck

Flat Lander Sugaring
09-04-2015, 03:37 AM
Get a price from Thor, they will wipe the slate of every one

maple flats
09-04-2015, 05:16 AM
I second that. When I was looking for a new set of pans I got prices from 3 of the big guys, Leader, Lapierre and CDL. Then Thad Blaisdell suggested I get a price from Thor Equipment, in Cowensville, Quebec. Their price was a huge savings. They even allowed me to get custom pans at the huge savings. My flue pan has 10" tall flues (raised flue) and I got the syrup pan in same side draw. Unless you speak French, ask for Arnold Raymond.
The workmanship is excellent.

Moser's Maple
09-04-2015, 05:36 AM
have to agree with flatlander and flats that the quality of thor pans are excellent.

Now I would have to say that is if this set up is something you are going to stay in awhile then a few hundred, or even a thousand in price shouldn't matter....instead you should be looking at what you will be receiving for customer service, and who is the most recommended....in my mind that the most important thing when purchasing anything in maple.

unc23win
09-04-2015, 07:02 AM
you should be looking at what you will be receiving for customer service, and who is the most recommended....in my mind that the most important thing when purchasing anything in maple.

I have to say that I agree with Jake. I would also add that one problem with one pan doesn't mean its a manufacturing problem or a material problem.

Walling's Maple Syrup
09-04-2015, 06:57 PM
I agree with Jake and UNC. SERVICE IS EVERYTHING in the maple business; especially after the sale. Without that, you have nothing. Find a dealer or sales rep. for a certain company who returns your calls and answers your questions and that is who I would go with.
Neil

Flat Lander Sugaring
09-05-2015, 07:15 AM
I agree with Jake and UNC. SERVICE IS EVERYTHING in the maple business; especially after the sale. Without that, you have nothing. Find a dealer or sales rep. for a certain company who returns your calls and answers your questions and that is who I would go with.
Neil
Cough CDL dealer cough cough, hey can I borrow the HE injection kit this year:lol:

Walling's Maple Syrup
09-05-2015, 08:02 AM
Cough CDL dealer cough cough, hey can I borrow the HE injection kit this year:lol:
CDL dealer? No, I am not. As far as the HE kit goes, normally I let people borrow it, but it will cost you $100/ day!:lol:

Flat Lander Sugaring
09-06-2015, 05:18 PM
CDL dealer? No, I am not. As far as the HE kit goes, normally I let people borrow it, but it will cost you $100/ day!:lol:

thought you were one, sorry if I insulted you :lol:
100 a day not bad figure Ill pull 200 out of the 125 taps an hour, are you goiung to be home next weeknd :emb:

randomseeker
09-10-2015, 12:50 PM
Neil

Neil, in your experience is that service necessarily local? In other words, is the service you have experienced needing been the type that your dealer can provide over the phone and with shipping? My short list includes a local dealer and one a thousand miles away. Both manufacturers with excellent product and reputation.

Walling's Maple Syrup
09-11-2015, 03:38 PM
Neil, in your experience is that service necessarily local? In other words, is the service you have experienced needing been the type that your dealer can provide over the phone and with shipping? My short list includes a local dealer and one a thousand miles away. Both manufacturers with excellent product and reputation.

Both are important. In my mind a local dealer that returns your calls and has knowledge on the products he/she sells is as important as the quality of the product you are buying. If you have questions, a local dealer can come out and go over things with you onsite. Also, if you ever have any issues with products you purchase, a dealer generally has more "pull" with the parent company than an individual would and can resolve issues quicker.

n8hutch
09-11-2015, 04:14 PM
I Agree with Neil, I buy 75% of my sugaring supplies from one place because they treat me well, they definitely are not the cheapest around but they are helpful and they are open every Day including Sundays. I didn't get my evaporator from them however. I would have likes to have but they push leader really hard & I think leaders stuff is over priced. I liked the dealing with Smokey Lake because you are talking directly to the owner. Your not going to get the run around from them.

I have to admit that I was a little nervous buying something so far away that I had never seen before but I couldn't have been happier with what I got.

You can't go wrong with the Lapierre either, that is what I have for an Arch, I ordered an Air Tight Front for it this spring but It hasn't come in yet, you should be able to order a storm Arch with an Air Tight Front & a wood saver blower all installed.

Winters Harvest
09-12-2015, 08:03 PM
Thank you for the recommendation for Thor. I am the NY dealer for Thor. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

maple flats
09-13-2015, 07:22 AM
I'm glad to hear that Thor now has a dealer in NYS. I bought mine direct as they had no dealer at that time. I went to the factory to pick it up, on the wrong weekend, I went on Labor Day Weekend. The border crossing was a nightmare. It took 5 hrs going north and 7 hrs coming south. That was just to get thru the booth at the border. The lines were miles long in both directions. The factory was enjoyable to have a tour of. The man I dealt with was Arnold Raymond, might be their only English speaking one they have. I hear they have since moved to another part of the building and are much larger now.

randomseeker
09-15-2015, 05:04 PM
Well Nate, I owe you considerable thanks. I hadn't heard of Smokey Lake until I read your posting. Yesterday I ordered a 2 1/6 by 8 Silverlake with reversing syrup pan, hood, and preheater. November delivery. Very, very gassed. Thanks again!!!

n8hutch
09-15-2015, 08:04 PM
I think you will be happy with that rig for sure. Some friends of mine we're hell bent on getting a leader patriot this spring until they saw my smoky Lake pans. They ordered a 2x6 smoky Lake silverplate this spring after I took them up to the Maple festival in St Albans and they looked at all the evaporators up there,

I think if you compare Apples to Apples you can't beat Jim's stuff. Post some pictures when you get that new rig.