PDA

View Full Version : sap feed

coyote
08-24-2015, 07:24 PM
I have a Leader 2x6. I can boil off roughly 50 gallons per hour. I currently have a 3/4" line feeding the evaporater. It is plenty of feed for the rig. I have ordered a steamaway for next year. Any ideas if I should increase my feed line size or will the 3/4" be okay. My feed tank sits about 5' above the rig.

unc23win
08-24-2015, 09:29 PM
I would match the inlet on the steamaway.

Thompson's Tree Farm
08-25-2015, 05:06 AM
With 5 feet of head you should be fine. We fed a 4x12 for years with a 3/4 inch pipe...up to 130 gallon per hour.

brookledge
08-28-2015, 07:24 PM
I agree with Jared. Match the intake size. While small size may work when and if you need to get a lot of sap quickly it won't happen.
Keith

maple flats
08-29-2015, 07:00 AM
I agree, the manufacturer has the inlet that size for a reason. If you are in full boil and have a sap supply issue for a short while (feed line froze, head tank ran empty and you had to pump more to the feed tank or what ever) you need to get more to the pans immediately. While a bucket might work, you can do it fast if you have the feed line the size the manufacturer intended it to have.

BreezyHill
08-29-2015, 07:17 AM
Our 2x6 has an over sized float box inlet because it was built with our RO in mind. Made by Grimm with a 1" inlet and it is connected to a 1.5" preheater to the head tank. The one time that we have an issue is the first draw off after a shut down. She is wood fired with a full bricked arch. The retained heat brings the front pan to near density so when we draw off the entire pan is ready. This creates a heavy draw on the raised flue pan and we have to shut down the fans to allow the float box to catch up and not leave the flues exposed.

After the first draw it is not a problem unless we are running to 15% or better. Then we have to check the flues when drawing off in batches. Continues flow has never been an issue.