PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum pump

jwalters
08-15-2015, 01:01 PM
11888 11888
I have a chance to buy this vacuum pump but want to make sure it will work for my small 600 tap bush. What they told me is it hasn't ran in 15 yrs the pump is free and not stuck if someone could identify what pump it is and what a good price for it would be. Thanks

Parker
08-15-2015, 07:47 PM
Looks like a massport mabey? Its a vane pump so you cant run real high vacuum without a reclaimer. I personaly dont like vane pumps because they consume,,blow oil everywhere,make a mess......ckeck to see if it turns over,,,i would look for a piston pump or spen a little money and get a liquid ring pump,,a diaphram pump would work well on 600 taps and they can make decent vacuum,, ,,just my opinion,,but i havent ever found a vane pump i liked very much,,,,,i have tried 5 or6 of them,,if youdo buy it fill it with oil and turn it over by hand once in a while to make sure the vanes are not hung up,,,then drain the oil and try it,,,,if this type of pump runs out of oil its all over

BreezyHill
08-15-2015, 11:12 PM
11888 11888
I have a chance to buy this vacuum pump but want to make sure it will work for my small 600 tap bush. What they told me is it hasn't ran in 15 yrs the pump is free and not stuck if someone could identify what pump it is and what a good price for it would be. Thanks

That is a delaval 78 or possible a 84. Depends on the size. Plenty of vac for a 600 tap bush. Last season My 7 Is that the oil reclaimer in the back ground?

I have several vane pumps and rebuilt many more. They are great for high vac and are often sold by Maple Dealers like D and G to Cdl.

Last season my D75 had a over heating failure and I ran 650 taps on her for 28+ inches of vac.

Piston pumps like a surge BB$ or sp 22 work well provided you have a tight system and remember they take more time to evacuate a system than a high speed rotary vane pump.

This pump will require a 5 hp motor and you have the motor bass already.

Oil reclaimers pay for themselves on recycling the oil needed to oil the bearings. They can be sophisticated or as simple as a metal garbage can and some screen.

Masport/ universal pumps look different but are also a vane unit and are best used with a oil reclaimer. They are less bulky and not as large.

Price depends on the market in your area. She can go for as little as 50 to as much as 500.

Ben

jwalters
08-16-2015, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the replies I was also thinking it was a d 78 there's no tags on it. It also has a oil reclaimer I think it's long and has two 2inch pipes out of it I guess I'll pick it up and put it back in action! What size gas motor would work for this unit?

jwalters
08-16-2015, 09:07 AM
Oil reclaimed?

BreezyHill
08-16-2015, 06:11 PM
Yes that is one type.
They can vary a lot. The job is to condensate the oil vapor that is in the exhausted air from the pump. Oil will cool the pump my vaporizing. Then you need to collect this vapor or burn it in the arch. Or both. I plan to use the exhaust in my arch next season to totally eliminate the chance of any vapor leaving the system. What escapes now is miniut but it is there.

Parker
08-16-2015, 06:52 PM
Whenever i tried to pull more than 16 inches of vac. my pumps spewed massive ammounts of oil vapor,,but mabey i was doing it wrong? It will be alot better than nothing! Good luck with it and keep us posted

BreezyHill
08-16-2015, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE=Parker;285146]Whenever i tried to pull more than 16 inches of vac. my pumps spewed massive ammounts of oil vapor,,but mabey i was doing it wrong?/QUOTE]

Not knowing all the factors to the situation, I would look at your dripper valves that would need to be throttled down when increasing the vac amount. The setting at 15" will produce more flow at 20" due to the force pulling the oil thru the valve is mush greater.

Couple this with the higher temp that is realized at working the pump harder and you will have much more vapor.

Get to your desired vac level and then adjust the drippers to get the coolest run temp of the pump with noncontact temp probe. I like to run around 170-180 and not over 200 for extended periods of time.

They can be tricky.

Parker
08-17-2015, 05:17 AM
I played with the drippers quite a bit,,the last massport i had had a reclaimer with a recirculating filter on it wich worked better than the other set ups i had,,,,,but,,in the end they were alot of maintance and expensive to run,,, ,,,i prefer liquid ring pumps for ease of opperation,,,,,piston pumps are in mho also far superior,,,i do still have a couple of vane pumps for back up,,,,but i hate the thought of having to run one,,,,,now if i had a cdl style cooling tower with a filter (kinda a closed loop) i would be more interested in trying them agine,,,,,but a good tower costs about what i can find a low to no maintiance l.r. pump for,,,,, run a vane pump hard and you have to replace the vanes,,,,run a l.r pump hard and run it harder the next time! They all work,,,,but based on past experiance i just dont care for vane pumps......

BreezyHill
08-18-2015, 10:15 AM
Sorry you had such a bad time with the rotary pumps.

I don't use a vac controller so they are always working hard. I check them twice a day. Turn the water trap valve and drain out any water and check the oil level. Turn her on and let her suck. My oldest is a D 73 that pulls 29+. The pump was $50, I am adding a $10 digital temp switch that will turn on a $10 box fan if the pump gets to 195. Every season she gets an oil change and during season she will use about a gallon of vac oil so add another $40. Since the pump is about 40years old pump cost is about $1 a year, If paid for itself in its first life but retirement is still valuable. lol
The reclaimer was part of a lot purchase and just the pump that I rebuilt and sold paid for all items twice over but the RC was worth $50 and the filter on it cost $9 to change.

So every season it will cost about $50 in maintance costs; so annual expense is around $52 for the pump. Take a $2000 LR pump for 10 years and that just $200 for the pump and nothing figured for the water supply, water pump, annual cleanup after season.
It runs on a 1 hp motor so electric is low; and last season she ran 731 taps.

If you have an old propane tank you can make a reclaimer with items from the dollar store and pipe to connect to the pump from HD or Lowes. You could build it in a day with a hack saw, soap stone, square, and two pieces of scrape angle iron.

But on the other hand it all depends on what one is comfortable with. I like to build stuff and see it run and make $$$.

I know guys that if there is a problem with a machine it is time to replace it. They don't have the time or the skill set to repair it. So for them it is best to buy new and not have any worries. This is fine...it makes a good source of less expensive project items for producers that have the skill set or the desire to repair/ upgrade/ rebuild items and have an investment in time and knowledge over $$$.

I have three sons and a future daughter in law that enjoy building stuff so I am passing on the knowledge that my dad passed to me; onto them.

That's the great thing about the art we producers preform....WE all start with the same product and all end up with Maple Sugar...but it is the way we all get to the end product that is half the fun and the other half is Art.
Ben

PerryFamily
08-18-2015, 06:04 PM
Get a Atlas Copco pump from MES. High vacuum in a self contained small quiet compact unit. It will pay for itself in one year.