PDA

View Full Version : Found a pump online

mudr
08-13-2015, 02:14 PM
I am looking into getting a pump for next year when I get up to around 60 taps. Obviously, many of you have seen previous threads on pumps, desire/need for food grade, and the upsetting lack of pumps that meet all of our needs. I came across a new one that I initially found on a hydroponics website. I forget the wording it used, but they stressed the safety of it because it is oil free and does not have a seal to leak. But- nowhere do I see a "food safe" label on it. It can be used both submersible and inline, can be run dry for short periods, and is pretty inexpensive, the 700 gph is under $80. What do you guys think of it?

http://www.marinedepot.com/Danner_Mag_Drive_Supreme_7_700_GPH_Water_Pump_500_ to_1000_Gallons_Per_Hour_Submersible_Aquarium_Pump s-Danner_Mfg.-DN1119-FIWPSBFT-DN1125-vi.html

http://media.hydroponics.net/item-documents/pondmaster/mag3-7/magdrive2_3_5_7.pdf

GeneralStark
08-13-2015, 09:13 PM
Clearly not for potable water if you care about that.

Biz
08-14-2015, 11:18 AM
Are you using it for a vacuum pump, or sap transfer? Probably will not work well for vacuum, you need a diaphragm type. I used a Shurflo 4008 pump for vacuum, $70 plus strainer, worked very well.

For sap transfer I used a utility pump which worked OK but it did not self prime, so it was problematic for sucking out of a collection barrel. The diaphragm pump will self prime so I am going to replace it with that. The Shurflo pumps are rated for potable water too.

mudr
08-14-2015, 12:04 PM
It would be for transferring when I get back to my house. I plan to have a 55 gallon barrel on a trailer, so it would pump from that to my other (food grade) 55 gallon barrels for short term storage. I would also probably use to to transfer out of them at boiling.

Id prefer a 120 volt pump if possible. I like the idea of the diaphram shurflos, but there is only one 120 volt listed and it seems like the 4008s max out at 3 gpm, is there anything greater than that?

NYScott
03-25-2016, 11:01 AM
I have found cheap 12vdc bilge pumps work pretty good for sap transfer if you don't have to lift it very far. So do sump pumps.