PDA

View Full Version : Tubing Tool

devils11217
08-12-2015, 07:04 PM
Need to buy a tubing tool this year. only installing about 100 or so taps.. Whats the benefits of one handed vs two handed. Whats the restrictions both have? Who has the best value as i am only a hobby guy.

lpakiz
08-12-2015, 08:56 PM
Devils,
For 100 taps, you could "make do" with a one hand tool. When you are finished installing, the smaller tool will be so much handier to carry along for maintenance, for the next dozen years.
The 2 handed tool is much better for cutting in drops, but that task "can" be done with a one hand tool, just not as handy.

wishlist
08-12-2015, 10:31 PM
Devils, are you handy with a welder? If so, do a little snooping and you can find some ideas on making your own 2 handed tool.

eustis22
12-21-2015, 08:36 AM
Guy's question never got answered.....is there someplace to buy a two handed tool for less than my mortgage?

WESTMAPLES
12-21-2015, 08:51 AM
whether you buy a 1 or 2 handed tubing tool they aren`t cheap. i was planning on making a 2 handed tool, but i was lucky enough to buy both tools used for $135 from jim (mapleman) as he was selling out his eqiupment due to loss of trees and time. ive seen pics of guys who made there own 1 handed tool using pliers, small vise grips, and a treaded union nut, and a small bit of welding

wiam
12-21-2015, 10:26 AM
Guy's question never got answered.....is there someplace to buy a two handed tool for less than my mortgage?

Don't know what your mortgage is but I bought a used 2 hand tool for $125. If you are in this business you have to buy the tools. If you are playing you have to get by with what ever. A decent new tool is $300. If your mortgage is less than that I would be interested in you place.

TrentonMaple
12-21-2015, 11:03 AM
I had no welding experience, but I learned, and I built a two-handed tubing tool, and a one-handed. Both are really simple. You need a light duty welder, a drill press, and patience. My first tool sucked, but my welding got better. Even if you mess up, you aren't out much money. Start with a one handed tool using slip joint pliers, some metal bar stock, and a union nut drilled out. There are tons of pics on this site to learn from.

You don't need to spend $300 on a tool. PM me if you need more help.

rhwells2003
12-21-2015, 11:46 AM
Hey Devil,

Just throwing it out there I'm trying to sell a 2 handed tool, and a one handed tool on craigslist right now.
http://burlington.craigslist.org/grd/5338812940.html

My in-laws live in Plattsburgh and will be there around new years. I don't know how close to there you live but we could arrange something if you were interested.

eustis22
12-21-2015, 12:11 PM
is that $150 for both? I can't tell. My closest VCT connection is in Rye Gate, sadly. I'd be in Bethel, Me.

Well, new a 3/16 two hander is going for around $250....I'm in negotiations with my welder on how we might construct one from scratch using some of the designs on here

rhwells2003
12-21-2015, 02:17 PM
Yeah $150 for both. I bought them last year to set up my little 400 tap bush for $200. The guy I bought them from made them, and they work decent. But I'm in the process of setting up my parents 3000 tap bush so I'm looking to sell these and upgrade.

GeneralStark
12-21-2015, 05:19 PM
I got by with a one handed tool for quite a few years. I developed a technique using a short piece of cord and tying a clove hitch on either side of a drop to cut it in by taking tension off the tubing, and for doing repairs. It worked fine but last year I decided to upgrade to a LOAC tubing tool which I would highly recommend to anyone looking to upgrade.

rhwells2003
12-22-2015, 06:53 AM
I'm thinking about purchasing cdl's 5/16 manual drop line tool.
http://www.rothsugarbush.com/product/cdl-manual-drop-line-tubing-pliers/

Anyone have any experience with this one? How do you like it, or don't like it? I'd like to get that one b/c I feel it can do it all from repairs to cutting in drops, and attaching saddles. Am I correct in assuming this or no? Looks similar to the LOAC tool but $40 cheaper and I have an account with cdl which will take another 18% off so ends up being about $80 cheaper. Any huge advantages with LOAC over CDL's tool?

GeneralStark
12-22-2015, 07:39 AM
In my experience the main advantage to the LOAC tool is it is very light and smaller than the steel tools. It is also articulated and not just hinged so it is a bit more accurate and easier to use. You can also easily replace the blade with a standard utility knife blade, though it does have to be modified slightly.

I got mine through these guys: http://www.woodwiseland.com/

They had purchased a load of them and imported them and were selling them considerably cheaper than other retailers. I'm not sure if they still have any but it may be worth a call.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-22-2015, 07:19 PM
The 3/16 2 handed installation tools work great and are $ 246. They have the auto tension and will also work on 5/16 tubing as I have sold several of them and customers really like them.

https://b2c.cdlusa.net/en/Catalog.aspx?Hi=012002&ps=

rhwells2003
12-23-2015, 05:17 AM
will also work on 5/16 tubing

Are you saying with the 3/16" installation tool you can work on 3/16" and 5/16"? Or did I read that wrong?

eustis22
12-23-2015, 08:39 AM
on the homemade tool, what diameter coupler nut did you use for what diameter tubing? If I use a 5/16 coupler for 3/16 tubing, do I need to drill out the coupler?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-23-2015, 12:48 PM
Yes, I tried it with 5/16 and it seemed to work fine. It has the auto tension feature on it so you don't have to adjust it.

jimsudz
12-23-2015, 06:39 PM
This is a pic of the 3/16 two handed tool i built . The couplers did have to be drilled out to accept the tubing with the fitting on. I had to drill them out a little more after the first time using. The tool would bottom out and I had to get another bit every time.