PDA

View Full Version : Rotten spot on young, otherwise healthy maple

DaveB
08-02-2015, 07:07 PM
I planted some maples about 7 years ago and I was inspecting them today and I noticed what looked like a wet spot which seemed odd to me because it's been so dry and when I touched the spot it was spongy, almost rotten. The rest of the tree is otherwise health but I have no idea what it is. I'd hate to lose this tree and the 7 years that I have invested in it. Can someone tell me what is going on?

I've attached a picture if that helps.

maple flats
08-03-2015, 06:28 AM
The vertical cracks look like frost damage. Maybe something got into the cracks causing the rot.

DaveB
08-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Thanks. Is that something I should be concerned about or will it out grow that? It's a nice specimen in my yard and I'd hate to start all over again with another sapling. It's about 3" in diameter now.

maple flats
08-03-2015, 06:41 PM
It will likely heal, but will always be a weak spot in the tree. It will not out grow it. The rot may also spread to the rest of that section of the trunk and break off in a windstorm sometime (or ice storm). My approach would be to plant another a few feet away and then decide which to remove in 5-10 yrs.

spud
08-04-2015, 09:50 AM
I planted some maples about 7 years ago and I was inspecting them today and I noticed what looked like a wet spot which seemed odd to me because it's been so dry and when I touched the spot it was spongy, almost rotten. The rest of the tree is otherwise health but I have no idea what it is. I'd hate to lose this tree and the 7 years that I have invested in it. Can someone tell me what is going on?

I've attached a picture if that helps.

It is possible that the moles got to your tree when the snow was deep. I screen all my apple trees trunks to protect them from moles and found that 24 inches of screen works best. Until a trunk becomes real wood it is best to protect it.

Spud