PDA

View Full Version : Hot dry Summer

whity
07-25-2015, 03:27 PM
Just curious if the hot dry summers have an effect on spring sugar content? This thought just crossed my mine this week. Would Long dry summers raise sugar in trees? or lower the content?
Here is my theory. I may be wrong as I usually am in my wifes eyes....:lol: Hot dry summer with little rain would raise sugar. Rainy cool summer would dilute the sugar in trees and flow to the leaves. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Just a thought.:confused:

maple flats
07-25-2015, 06:23 PM
I don't know about N.H. but our rainfall is a little above average, and in the winter we had more snow. While it is a little dry right now, the ground down a few inches (10+) still has good moisture here.
Certainly, more sun should equate to higher sugar production it seems. In fact, I looked up our June rainfall, we were 186% of average, and then the first 2 weeks of July was similar. It was not until July 20th that my fields started to dry out (meaning no standing water).

BreezyHill
07-26-2015, 09:25 AM
What a difference 100 miles can make. Here on the VT NY Boarder southern VT, we are dry having missed the last two big storms that flooded fields just a mile south. We got 1/2" they got 3".
Dug two shallow holes under a sizeable maple in the yard to level a table to a photo reel of middle son for a grad party and down 3" all powder. Potato field had standing water on the two missed storms for an hour or two and they look good.

I asked same ? and Dr tim said the water around sap season is most important. but that dry summer lead to a poor crop of sap for use even with a wet fall. There as so many factors that need to align for a good crop I have noticed. More sun is a good energy source. Hay is 70% sun...little sun and you get a small crop. This spring was dry and the hay is like second cutting yields. We are changing the fertilizer program to try and get more off the net cutting.

Love to see what a bushes soil fertility profile should be.

Ben

RC Maple
07-28-2015, 07:36 AM
I would say the weather in NW Ohio is similar to what Maple Flats said. The last rain here was last Sunday, the 19th. This is the longest we have went without rain all summer. Finally, we get to dry out and experience some summer. It has been very wet and cool as well. It would be nice to think all this moisture would mean a good syrup season but we will know more in March.