PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Storage?

hitnspit
07-19-2015, 09:55 PM
My ? to you all is do you bring the syrup to finish or just before finish when you store it. Thanks

maple flats
07-20-2015, 06:31 AM
I only finish it as I pack it into jugs, bottles or barrels. I draw it off very close to syrup, then pump it to my finisher. When the finisher has enough to pack in whatever I going to pack it in, I then density check, adjust as needed, filter and pack it. The quantity depends on the destination. If going into retail it might only be 12-18 gal, if going into a barrel or 2 it may be anywhere from 20-70 gal, as I use 16, 30 and 40 gal SS barrels and I don't want to have less than a full barrel.

BreezyHill
07-20-2015, 09:33 AM
We finish on the evap into Stainless Steel (SS) Milk pails. Our current canner only holds about 10 gallons and we bulk store in 16 g SS Kegs. Pails are filter into the canner when hot and heated to 180 if cooled below 180 to do to the canner. Each pail is density checked and the canner is rechecked and adjust as needed.

I have a 36 x 36 finisher that my dad ran for a few years but I don't have the time or the man power to have two rigs running. In a two years when I get family out of college, back to the farm, we will look at using that system again but I am no sure that we will have enough hands then either.

Sugarmaker
08-20-2015, 10:35 AM
We bring our syrup just a little above proper density on the eveporator, then filter and store in 2.5 gallon containers in chest freezer.
Regards,
Chris