PDA

View Full Version : Maple/RO Calculator App

claytski
07-14-2015, 07:43 AM
As of this morning there is a new app on the apple app store. Android is shortly behind, I didn't forget about you guys. If you search "maple syrup" you will find it under MES.

This app is super powerful and allows producers to calculate all those must know things in maple fast. It gives so much power to your fingertips!

I incorporated a sap collection feature which allows users to input their information and the info gets emailed to the email address saved in the settings. This way when your out collecting sap you can email the info right to yourself so you have a record. This is huge if you are buying sap and must pay someone for the sap. Lets face it during sugar season record keeping isn't a huge strong point.

Please enjoy!

maple flats
07-14-2015, 08:55 AM
Sounds great, I'll eagerly await the Android app.

Ryan Mahar
07-16-2015, 01:26 PM
Loaded the MES one on my iphone, looks fun to use, can't wait to start plugging in numbers in the spring! thanks for sharing !

claytski
07-17-2015, 06:01 AM
Thanks Ryan. I had it listed at $0.99 as an oversight. I just changed it to free so please feel free to send me an email and I can send you the $1. I wanted to offer this as a tool not a money generator.

For all the android guys...drum roll please....its on the android app store (google play) now. It can be easily found by searching "MES" It can also be found under "maple syrup" but it is at the back of the list.

Please enjoy!

Tmeeeh
07-17-2015, 08:06 AM
Hey Clayton,

This is great. I have an idea of something to add.

We set our RO to 50/50 rejection and recirculate the concentrate back into a tank that has sap running into it along with the concentrate. We keep recirculating until the sap coming from the RO is 13%. (we run a small submersible pump in the sap tank to keep it stirred up) Once the concentrate is coming from the RO at 13% we send the concentrate to the head tank and start boiling. Ideally this happens around sunset when the new sap coming in often slows down or stops completely.

It's always a puzzle when to start the RO machine so that we can start boiling at say 6:00 PM.

Number of gallons of sap on hand.
Estimate how much new sap will come in while the RO is running.
Estimate how fast the RO will be dumping water.
Estimate how many gallons of water need to be dumped to bring the sap to ? percent sugar. (we go to 13).
From these figures determine how long the RO needs to recirculate before it starts making ? percent concentrate.
Once we know how many hours the RO needs, it's easy to decide when to turn it on so we can start boiling at a certain time.

I suspect there are others on here who need to make similar calculations and it might be a useful addition to your app.

jmayerl
07-17-2015, 06:50 PM
Bought it a few days ago. I consider $1 a very cheap way to track sap at each pick up point. Look forward to march to use it

SeanD
07-18-2015, 07:27 AM
Thanks for putting this together. Record keeping is always the first thing to suffer when things get going, so this is great. I have a couple of suggestions. I have no idea how easy/hard any of this is, so I'm just putting it out there as straight feedback for you to use.

For sap collection, I'll more likely use it on the spot if it's quick and I don't have to type as much before hopping in the truck. So, it would be great to have it save location names. I collected at 7 properties this past year. If I could type the first letter or two of the location it would be good if it filled in the rest. It would also be good if the time could default to the current time, so that's one less thing to enter. I don't always check sugar at each pick up, but it won't let me send the data unless it is filled out. Let it send data even if some fields are empty.

In the sugar house calculator, I like the first calculator. Is it based on the Rule of 86? It would be good to be able to enter any two of the fields to get the third. In other words, I could put in syrup and sap and get brix. That's how I did it before buying a refractometer.

For the second calculator I think it needs one more field. Is it for temperature correction? Then it needs to know what the hydrometer reading is.

The third calculator looks straight up cool and I can't wait to check that one against my actual draw offs. I just need to get good info to put into it.

This was obviously a ton of work for you. Thanks for doing it. Don't take any of this as a criticism. Just feedback for how I would use it.

Sean

opiejudd
01-15-2016, 09:27 AM
Just downloaded this app. This is going to be super handy when it comes to collecting this year. Better them my dad writing it on the wall. lol

Nemo5
01-15-2016, 11:32 AM
I doesn't appear to be on the Canadian App Store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

opiejudd
01-15-2016, 02:37 PM
I had look up "MES maple syrup" to find it.

Nemo5
01-15-2016, 03:08 PM
I see it now, thank you.

82cabby
01-22-2016, 07:44 PM
Really cool! Thanks!!