PDA

View Full Version : Breaking ground come Labor Day

SDdave
07-08-2015, 05:26 PM
This definitely is one tiny step in sugar house's across maple land, but one giant leap for mapleholics in South Dakota. Come to think of it, it may be the first unofficially official sugar house in the state. I'll have to check.

SO, here are the plans. 20X16 shed, on a floating concrete slab with thickened perimeter of about a foot or so. Wife gave the go ahead so off I go. Trying to finalize some building plans on my part. Which leads to many questions...

8 or 10' walls? Plan on tinning the roof...sheet it with plywood or just purlins on rafters? Vertical siding...sheeted walls or run backing between studs? Ring shank nails or 100% threaded screws for the siding?

Here is a link of what I'll try to build. I do have to store the kids outdoor stuff in the other half...maybe.

http://coolsheddesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/free-shed-design-2.jpg

Hopefully that worked.

Would love some input.

SDdave

lpakiz
07-08-2015, 06:24 PM
I built mine 16-24 and have a second floor "loft" courtesy of a grambrel or "hip" roof, also known as a barn roof. I really like it. Lotsa storage up there even tho it is only to the half-way mark. The rest opens up to a "barn" look from the inside.
I used 1X8 roof boards for 3 reasons. 1). To give the feel of a barn hay-mow, 2). To forestall any condensation dripping. I also put a steel roof over that, and highly recommend that for the fire safety aspect of things.
I researched out what makes a barn roof look right, and one of my observations was that the peak should be as tall as the building is wide. So my peak is 16 feet from the ground, which equals the 16 foot width. And the length of the 2 parts of the roof shape should be equal lengths. (IIRC, mine are around 6 feet each.)
The slope down from horizontal of the top section should equal the "lean angle" of the lower, steeper section. So, mine is like 25* down from horizontal, and 25* leaning in from vertical.
Even if you choose a more conventional roof, a second story is great for storage and head tank placement.

maple flats
07-09-2015, 07:09 AM
I also made mine 16x24, back when all I had was a 2x6 evaporator and a 16" x 24" canner. It seemed like I'd have all kinds of room. Move forward to a 3x8 evap., 16x24 canner, 5 bank filter press, 2x6 finisher, 2 coolers for syrup storage, an R.O., a wood rack a draw off tank and a canning cart (baker's rolling multi shelf cart) and it is crowded. Consider what you may expand to in 10 yrs, 20 yrs. You might want it bigger. I've had expansion plans drawn out to add another 360 SF but life keeps getting in the way. If I had built a 24 x 30 in the first place it would still be good.

optionguru
07-13-2015, 01:36 PM
I'm building 14x16. A few people told me taller is better so I did 10' walls. Metal roof and I plan on spray foam insulating the inside of the roof to avoid or slow condensation. Mine is also on a floating slab but I poured my slab 4' longer to have a front porch area. Post and beam and I'm using 10" ship lap for the siding. Good luck and take lots of pics.

Here's my latest progress from yesterday.

SDdave
09-27-2015, 06:21 PM
All right...There is lots to learn when building. For example I learned about "statute of limitations". Not in the bad way, but limitations of oneself!! Got the grade work done, 95% of the crushed concrete in and packed. Things going good until I checked the calendar late one Sunday night. Family events would push me to pour the slab after Halloween. So now have to get a contractor out to pour the slab. Not a big deal. I'm going to have to go with a different siding due to the same limitations. So will have to price out ship lap vs. the traditional T&G car siding. Hopefully getting some rough framing done and up before Halloween. Slow progress so far but progress is made.

SDdave

optionguru
09-28-2015, 03:51 PM
Lets see some pics.

SDdave
10-26-2015, 10:38 PM
Lets see some pics.

Here you go! Made some progress so far. Now I have to convince a couple of friends of mine to help me do the clerostory and rafters. The building inspector has been quite helpful and understanding so far. I can tell him what I want to do and he fully understands and leaves progress notes stating good work so far, and looking good. Even got the neighbors talking!! They can't believe that I am actually building it myself.

Next on the list is putting up clerostory, rafters, order steel for roof, convince she who must be obeyed on siding.

SDdave

SDdave
10-26-2015, 10:39 PM
How do you rotate the pics? I don't want anyone to get a sore neck on my part!!

SDdave

maple flats
10-27-2015, 08:19 AM
I think you need to edit it on your computer before it is posted. If you get into edit, there will be 2 curved arrows, either along the bottom or the top depending one the program you are in, one to rotate 90 degrees clockwise and the other is 90 counter-clockwise. Once you get it upright, just hit save (or control S). Then edit your post, delete the old picture and then post the good one. Good luck.

SDdave
11-22-2015, 07:05 PM
Ok a little update. Sorry no pics on progress. I'll have to shoot some on Black Friday. Siding near completion, one roof sheeted and purloined. It seems like a never ending project. But working on it every weekend. Kinda glad we got close to 18" of snow last Friday, softened the fall from 12' up. Still a little sore on one side for some reason!!

SDdave

SDdave
12-03-2015, 10:48 AM
Got to work on the shed a little over Thanksgiving. Little is exactly right. My youngest came down with viral meningitis so we spent most of the holiday weekend in the hospital. At home now playing Lego's and coloring. Maybe this weekend...

SDdave

optionguru
12-03-2015, 12:07 PM
I love the look of it. Nice work. Hope your little one recovers quickly.

SDdave
02-26-2016, 06:41 PM
Not quite done yet, but close enough. Got to put on the rake and stain.

Cedar Eater
02-26-2016, 08:58 PM
Looks really good.

MISugarDaddy
02-27-2016, 04:04 AM
Nice work! It looks like you have had a pretty mild winter to allow you to get it done. You will really enjoy that.
Gary