PDA

View Full Version : drop extensions

PATheron
06-28-2015, 04:01 PM
Want to put some extensions on some drops rather than change them out because it is easier for me. Anyone know any info on how long the new piece of tubing would have to be to be fairly helpful with bacteria? Theron

Shaun
06-28-2015, 05:20 PM
I believe at maple boot camp the experts mentioned the first 14 inches is of the most concern.

unc23win
06-28-2015, 07:42 PM
Ok Theron how are you attaching these extensions? Straight connector? Quick connector?

I actually was going to try some quick connectors myself last season but got sidetracked I saw on the NYS Maple Association site in one of their newsletters where someone had used them on drops. It sure would cut back on the labor for changing drops. Picture showed stainless spouts so I was assuming they were suing them so they could remove the drop for cleaning.

PATheron
06-28-2015, 08:18 PM
Thanks Shaun, that was about the length I was thinking. I just didn't know if anyone had heard of anything for sure or what anyone else was doing. Jared. I ordered a bunch of the cheap hook connectors. There like 21 cents or something. I use the checkvalves and its hard for me to change out the drops but they are getting skuzzy some places so I figured that would help and also make the drops way longer which would help too. I thought about kwik connectors too but expensive and they might leak. Im thinking Im going to just add like 15 inches with the hook connectors. Theron

unc23win
06-28-2015, 08:47 PM
Sounds like it should work and still save some labor and not having to bother with cutting in new Ts. I have been tossing around ideas myself as I do everything myself. It makes sense to get rid of the skuzzy part and as you said make the drop longer as well.

lew
06-29-2015, 05:15 AM
I am assuming you are going to cut the old drop off relatively short to avoid an excessively long drop

lew
06-29-2015, 05:26 AM
Theron,
You mentioned you were using check valves, so why are you changing drops?

PATheron
06-29-2015, 06:12 AM
I kind of want them longer in the one woods anyway because of the older hollow trees plus I thought the newer tube might help anyway even with the checkvalves.

maple flats
06-29-2015, 06:39 AM
How old are the drops you plan to add a new piece to? Generally I think they say 4-5 yrs, then change it even with the check valves.