PDA

View Full Version : Walmart and their "syrup"

highlandcattle
06-21-2015, 02:01 PM
Just came from Wal-Mart. Thought it very interesting that none of the bottles of the real stuff has the new grade labeling. Funny how that works. We are all supposedly obligated to use the new grading system but every brand there was the old grade names. Then a nice little plastic jug next to the actual maple syrup marked "log cabin" it's rice syrup. What a bunch of phoney misleading crap.

madmapler
06-21-2015, 02:45 PM
"False advertising" A family tradition since 1887.

Dennis H.
06-21-2015, 07:54 PM
What are the rules for syrup that has been bottled from let say last year and has yet to sell.

maple flats
06-22-2015, 05:04 AM
Any syrup bottled before 1/1/15 can use the old grading until 12/31/15 in New York State. Did they even have a NY grade label? If not, the rules would be based on where it was bottled. Once all the transition in each syrup producing state and province has ended, then all syrup must use the new standards.

maple flats
06-22-2015, 05:05 AM
In NY we have until 12/31/15 to use up any that was bottled before 1/1/15. I don't know about other states and provinces.

67HEAVEN
08-19-2015, 01:24 PM
On this topic - http://www.cbsnews.com/news/vt-log-cabin-syrup-not-the-real-deal/

sjdoyon
08-19-2015, 07:14 PM
it's being addressed on this side of the border:

http://www.wcax.com/story/28461614/leahy-seeks-stronger-maple-syrup-labeling-enforcement

wdchuck
08-22-2015, 06:00 AM
As for that log cabin fake crap, I've gone straight to the managers office and asked them to put it back with the non-maple where it belongs. Here in Vt, its an easy sell. I'd encourage you all to do the same seeing as its often an honest mistake by a stock person.....the same mistake that can be made by a consumer!!!

gmcooper
08-22-2015, 08:33 PM
ON the Log Cabin crap at least here in Maine and I think VT this issue came up a couple years ago. Some stores did move it to the corn syrup section but probably not for long. I do not believe putting on the shelf beside real syrup was an accident or "stockboy" mistake. The folks at Log Cabin did not change to a Maple syrup jug because they got a good deal on them. They are in a Maple Syrup jug and stocked with real maple syrup to sell more of their product as it will be priced less and looks like real maple syrup unless people read the entire label.

maple flats
08-23-2015, 07:26 AM
That's exactly the reason this junk is in a traditional type maple syrup jug. Log Cabin know very well that very few consumers read the whole label.