PDA

View Full Version : Bascom Bulk price secrets

white mt
06-10-2015, 09:14 AM
Called One large maple outfit today wanted to possible sell them dome syrup asked what they would give per pound and they told me I than asked what they would sell syrup to me for I was told oh we can't tell you that . I said what ? They said you can have one price or the other not both ? I said what if I call back and ask well we won't tell You I was told . Good way to lose loyal customers if you ask me. What's the big secret . Dumbfounded.

steam maker
06-10-2015, 11:15 AM
Just remember that next time u need parts or equipment !!! Plenty of other places to do buisness

GeneralStark
06-10-2015, 07:37 PM
They likely have caller id so call from another phone or have someone else call. I don't think they are too worried about losing customers...

white mt
06-11-2015, 10:10 AM
just found it very odd .I guess I'll just move on I don't need to know their prices at this point . No big deal

maple flats
06-11-2015, 04:20 PM
Apparently they don't think those selling bulk are smart enough to get their selling price. We all realize there is a mark up but must be they aren't willing to make that very easy to get.
On the other side of the coin, they likely have a sliding scale depending on how much you buy (bulk syrup that is). If you order 1 barrel it will not be the same price as if you buy 50 barrels, and understandably so, the same as I give a discount on large orders (over 20 gal retail in one order).

gmcooper
06-13-2015, 05:51 PM
I have to say I have bought and sold to Bascoms over the past 25 years and never had any issue getting either or both prices from them. Kind of surprised as they often buy one grade of syrup from some one and sell them or trade towards other syrup.

jmayerl
06-13-2015, 09:14 PM
Kind of unrelated but maybe they are doing some of their things different than in the past. I ordered a cream machine over the phone and was told they needed a day to get shipping priced. They called back 2 days later with the price. Dan bascom called me to let me know that it was in and now told me the shipping had gone up 400%. So if anyone wants a cream machine feel free to pick it up it's not mine anymore! Just sounds like they're making some bad decisions over the phone every once in a while

maple flats
06-14-2015, 06:44 AM
That's strange, I just checked the price to ship a case of gallons by FedEx to Kansas from me in NY and the cost of shipping has not changed for that in the last 6 months. If someone made a mistake in the quote on their end, they should eat the error, I'm sure the cream machine had enough profit in it to more than cover their real shipping cost. I wonder if someone else has taken over the helm at Bascom. Is Bruce still the active captain of the ship?

Moser's Maple
06-14-2015, 06:55 AM
shipping can be a tricky thing. This past winter I shipped a releaser out to michigan. I went on an unnamed shipping companies website and typed in what I figured were the rough dimensions and weight of what my box was going to be. After all the packaging, padding, taping I took the releaser to my nearest drop off, and much to my surprise the cost had risen $70....(original quote was $180). so I asked why, and gave them my original dimensions, and of course they came out fine, but the new dimensions were 2 inches longer and had weighted 2 more lbs which put me in the next tier of shipping costs. Another to remember is the box companies do charge by the square inch also. I don't know if this was the case with Bascoms, but just a little tid bit into what might have happened.

BreezyHill
06-14-2015, 10:48 AM
I have to say I have bought and sold to Bascoms over the past 25 years and never had any issue getting either or both prices from them. Kind of surprised as they often buy one grade of syrup from some one and sell them or trade towards other syrup.

My dad did the same for many years since the late 1970's and I have sold low grade stock to them the last 4 or 5 years and have never had an issue. I have had may interesting talks with Bruce about Maple and am totally shocked by this.

Unfortunately we all have off days and I hope this is what happened in this case. But, it is still said to hear a producer, not getting the proper treatment.

As of late I have had some odd calls of people wanting to purchase and to sell bulk to use. One called several days in a row...same voice different numbers each time. I never forget a voice, and this voice was very distinguishable. But I gave the request info and just chuckled and discarded the numbers.

We only buy from producers we have visited. We are dealing with food and I don't believe you can be to safe.

Good Luck!

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-15-2015, 04:05 AM
My dad did the same for many years since the late 1970's and I have sold low grade stock to them the last 4 or 5 years and have never had an issue. I have had may interesting talks with Bruce about Maple and am totally shocked by this.

Unfortunately we all have off days and I hope this is what happened in this case. But, it is still said to hear a producer, not getting the proper treatment.

As of late I have had some odd calls of people wanting to purchase and to sell bulk to use. One called several days in a row...same voice different numbers each time. I never forget a voice, and this voice was very distinguishable. But I gave the request info and just chuckled and discarded the numbers.

We only buy from producers we have visited. We are dealing with food and I don't believe you can be to safe.

Good Luck!

is my voice that recognizable :lol:

BreezyHill
06-15-2015, 09:28 AM
is my voice that recognizable :lol:

:lol: hahaha, Yes. But it wasn't yours. Definate Indian tone. IYKWIM.
:mrgreen:

white mt
06-15-2015, 12:56 PM
I did ask for conformation ftom a manager who I spoke with who said it was their policy .

brookledge
06-28-2015, 06:33 AM
I can understand if you ask for the price for the sell and buy price for the same grade. That is business. Change the subject to something else say hay. If you buy and sell you are not going to tell everyone who buys hay from you how much you paid for it.That said the fact that the other grades are so close in prices you can ask for a buy price in one grade and a sell price in another grade. Or just inquire on the trader and you can determine the mark up they charge.
Keith

pasapman
06-28-2015, 08:20 AM
the first three grades should be $3.00 per lb. minimum. the bulk buyers want to buy the syrup in Canada at a 20% money exchange rate. they don't want to buy from U.S. cause they can get it cheaper in Canada. Let the bulk buyers sell the equipment and supplies to the Canadians. The United States producers should buy their supplies from companies that do not purchase syrup in bulk from Canada at the exchange rate. the U. S. producers should boycott the companies that buy the bulk syrup from Canada. all prices for bulk syrup should be the same price whether Canada or U.S. produced maple syrup. good luck.

n8hutch
06-28-2015, 08:30 AM
I just Don't understand why they would not tell you at Bascom's the buy & sell price. It isn't A big secret that Bascom is going to make Money or any other buyer is going to make money on your syrup. Fact is if you could market/Sell all your syrup at retail or fair market value in your area you wouldn't sell to a big packer like Bascom.

Bascom's knows this. Only thing I can think of is they are worried about loosing out on syrup to other packers in the future who might sell syrup back to producers at a lower rate. Or less of a profit margin.

Imagine trading syrup for equipment, not only are they making money on your syrup at 2.50 lb or whatever they are paying, but they are making 30-40% on the equipment. Smart fellas

unc23win
06-28-2015, 07:37 PM
the first three grades should be $3.00 per lb. minimum. the bulk buyers want to buy the syrup in Canada at a 20% money exchange rate. they don't want to buy from U.S. cause they can get it cheaper in Canada. Let the bulk buyers sell the equipment and supplies to the Canadians. The United States producers should buy their supplies from companies that do not purchase syrup in bulk from Canada at the exchange rate. the U. S. producers should boycott the companies that buy the bulk syrup from Canada. all prices for bulk syrup should be the same price whether Canada or U.S. produced maple syrup. good luck.

The only ones getting close to $3 a pound are Canadians getting paid in Canadian dollars, which I think it was discussed it was more like $2.90 in Canadian dollars = $2.30 U.S. $. Your idea sounds good about bulk buyers buying syrup cheaper and boycotting them so the only sell equipment to Canadians, but there aren't very many U.S. companies who manufacture equipment and of those few buy bulk. True there are a few big bulk buyers in the U.S. but they don't strictly sell U.S. made equipment. I think your a little confused about bulk price Canada makes about 4 times as much syrup as the U.S. that is how the bulk price is controlled it doesn't really have anything to do with equipment sales. Each person has to do what they can to get the best price they can in the time frame they are willing to wait for their $ some producers rely largely on retail while others are looking to bulk nearly all and some do a mixture of the two. There is no need to feel obligated to buy equipment from the same company who buys your bulk many of them are not even equipment dealers and those that are aren't relying on every person selling to buy equipment from them.