PDA

View Full Version : How to decide on pan size?

Dennis McGill
06-04-2015, 10:40 AM
OK, I'm a newby. I boiled this year for the first time on borrowed equipment. So here is/are my questions.
1. I'm building a six food arch, so am I better to have one six foot flat or divided pan, or one 4 foot flat pan and a 2 foot divided pan?
2. I'm thinking that with the 4 foot and 2 foot combo I could downsize a boil, if sap was slow, or I just didn't want to boil so much sap anymore.
Like in the near future when I'm old and tired and don't want to slop around in the woods in March.

SeanD
06-04-2015, 12:52 PM
Go with the 4' & 2' setup. That way you'll be able to expand to a 4' flue pan easily and keep your front pan in the next configuration. Also, you'll be able to sell a 4' pan more easily than a 6' pan when the time comes. I don't know how many taps you are putting out, but a flat pan gives you a wide range for tap count on the low end. You could easily get away with 35-40 taps and still be able to boil regularly. It's not like a flue setup where you need a ton of sap just to fill it and boil for an hour or two. I don't think you'll find yourself downsizing at all until the last boil.

Sean

Dennis McGill
06-04-2015, 10:46 PM
Thanks Sean, that's ind of what I was thinking.