PDA

View Full Version : Bulk storage

Jmsmithy
05-26-2015, 11:58 PM
Hi there

I have approx 25 gallons, all packed hot in 5 gallon barrels, two stainless, three plastic carboys from my Leader dealer. My question is how do you store these prior to bottling?

I'll be bottling over next week or so. Currently they are stored on shelving and stacked on floor of my sugarhouse...

AND, once bottled (we bottle only in glass) what's best way to store those???

BreezyHill
05-27-2015, 08:24 AM
Colder the better we find.

We leave it in bulk storage until it is needed to fill orders. We plan on building our insulated storage room this summer.

Use the plastic first as it will lose quality quickest. Stainless will taste, fresh out of the evap, when you open it.

Our sugar house is concrete walled built into the bank under a metal building so it stays cool in there most of the summer. This past season we cleaned out 2 season old in plastic 5s and got top price for it. Was expecting commercial grade due to it was dark and its age.

Keep it cool and in the dark, for longest storage life.

Ben

maple flats
05-27-2015, 09:07 AM
Right now I have 2 chest freezers that I keep my stock in, except for 1 or each size in each grade. Then when the unit on the shelf sells, a cold one is taken from cold storage and placed on the shelf.
My eventual plans are to build a cold cellar, 2/3 under ground, insulated, and cooled with a coolbot, a control that controls an air conditioner to get it to cool down to the 36 or above. The Coolbot will cool to 34, but it takes a long time to get down that low, and saves not operating expense over a conventional walk in cooler. I'm thinking of running one at 38-39 degrees. Then my SS barrels will also be refrigerated, at this time they are not.

Tmeeeh
05-27-2015, 10:20 AM
We store our syrup in 40 gallon SS barrels in a cooler. It is as underground room but gets up to around 70 degrees in the summer. We had some spoilage in there occasionally especially in drums that were opened and partially used to fill jugs. We added a coolbot three years ago and now keep it at 45 degrees in there. Have had no spoilage ever since. The syrup in jugs doesn't sit around for more than a month or so before it gets to the retail customer. Keep all retail containers plastic metal or glass cool and dark if possible. Always refrigerate any open container.

Shawn
05-27-2015, 05:15 PM
Do not have the barrels, like some do but I store our syrup in jugs in a frig as I did after we bottled it and it cooled 36 gallons then when ready to go out I take it out .

Dennis H.
05-28-2015, 03:51 AM
I use those 5 gal blue jugs for my bulk syrup.
I was keeping them upstairs in the sugarhouse but in the summer it can get around 80 in there so I built an insulated room in the downstairs garage area that I can now store my bulk syrup. I also installed a 5000 btu AC unit to help keep in cool in the middle of summer, but I have found that I use the AC more as a fan than to keep cool. Being where the room is located, sort of like in a basement, it stays cool so the AC unit just runs for air movement and from time to time to keep the temp in check.

WESTMAPLES
05-28-2015, 08:12 AM
i use 15.5 gallon stainless steel kegs with sanke seal kits from ebay that way i don`t have to bottle it all at once or worry about it sitting in bottles till it sells and i store my bulk in my house basement stays nice and cool even on the hottest summer days