PDA

View Full Version : Washing new glass bottles

Jmsmithy
05-26-2015, 11:54 PM
Hello all

Just wondering ... Do u wash your bottles right out of the box before filling?

WESTMAPLES
05-27-2015, 06:10 AM
i don`t wash, i take them right out of a new sealed box and fill them

MISugarDaddy
05-27-2015, 08:00 AM
We do the same as Westmaples and have never had a problem after 8 years of following that practice.
Gary

BreezyHill
05-27-2015, 08:29 AM
As long as the box is not damaged, sealed well and they look spot less they get filled. Any dust or signs of insects, or water damaged box from transit and they get a scalding hot rinse.

Hot rinse so they dry fast and can be filled immediately. To rinse this way you can fill your canner part way with water and place the bottles in a rack and submerge for a minute or so in near boiling water. I use insulated wet gloves to handle these bottles to empty out the water as they drip into the canner or a drainer.

Sealed boxes are way easier!

Ben

tuckermtn
05-27-2015, 08:17 PM
we do not wash new glass bottles...

we try to fill an entire case at a time, so as to not have partially full cases open...

Dennis H.
05-28-2015, 03:43 AM
This is the first year that I have used glass bottles to sell. Call me crazy but I rinse the bottles out before use.
I then put them into the oven at 180 degrees. That way they dry quickly and stay nice and hot for bottling syrup.
The oven is right next to my bottler so it is no difference than reaching for a plastic jug. Only that I need to have gloves on grab the hot glass.

I know I could get away without pre-heating the bottles in the oven but I want to be sure that seal up good and that the glass doesn't suck the heat out of the syrup to soon.

lpakiz
05-28-2015, 08:16 AM
A couple years ago, we used bottles that were 2 years old. These were bottles we purchased but did not fill. They were stored in our basement. In 10 cases of bottles, we found 2 spiders.
Needless to say, we rinse EVERY bottle, but only pre-heat 12 ounce and smaller before filling. I feel that the smaller bottles have a greater "glass to syrup" weight ratio, and could potentially have a syrup temperature of less than 185 when the cap is screwed on.

GeneralStark
05-28-2015, 09:45 AM
I use lots of glass and only occasionally do I rinse the bottles. I do inspect them closely before filling because I too have found an occasional spider or other insect in the bottles. I have also found that if the box is not sealed well, there may be some dust from storage in warehouses along the way. 98% of the time the bottles are fine however.

I have actually found more storage debris in plastic bottles and occasionally have to rinse them. One of the storage warehouses at CDL St. ALbans where I buy most of my bottles is quite dusty.

I do also preheat small bottles before filling. I place the boxes of bottles on the canner while the syrup is heating and this seems to work pretty well. I sell lots of 40 ml. bottles for wedding favors.