PDA

View Full Version : farmi winch

PACMAN
05-19-2015, 07:28 PM
just got a farmi winch for my kobota and I love it. I wish I could have gotten one sooner. I know its not a skidder,I have run them for over 30 years,but its still better than a draw bar. really really happy with it so far. Any one else got one?

BreezyHill
05-19-2015, 07:44 PM
Had one for close to 20 years. Watch the cable...when it starts to fail, change it. I went with a swedged cable to get larger cable and keep the length. 150'. we use a 70 and 80 hp tractor for ours and found it works nice on a 50 Hp JD.

The power corner on a strap is a great tool.

tuckermtn
05-20-2015, 04:39 PM
if you are looking for an accesory for the Farmi, consider a self-releasing snatch block...comes in handy pulling in and area with stumps...

http://www.hud-son.com/products/product-detail/snatch-block-self-releasing?gclid=CNWbnIqk0cUCFQYxaQodqmEAmA

VT_K9
06-01-2015, 11:09 AM
We have one on our Kubota L4240. Use common sense when hauling and you can move a lot of wood. It is much better than any other method we have used.

Mike

maple flats
06-01-2015, 05:54 PM
While not a Farmi, I have plenty of experience using a Fransgard 4000 (8800 LB) winch. I sold them as part of our outdoor wood boiler business. It seems any of these winches are pretty good and a real time saver. Just be sure to use it within it's limitations. We never had any problems, but we were using a 70 HP tractor with front end loader to help hold the front down. Always be aware of the forces that could upset you (the tractor). carry the load low, and don't pull more than the tractor can handle with the terrain and conditions.
Out of 50 or 60 we sold over the years, we only had one failure and that was caused by having the operator pull tree length logs up too tight to the winch, then lifting the load and turning tight enough to have the logs bind and try to swing from the tension against the rear pusher blade. This created enough force that the main shaft was bent ( the winch shaft, not the pto shaft). Fransgard refunded the winch, supplied us with the replacement shaft, paid us to repair it, then had us sell it as used and repaired to someone else. Fransgard said they had never encountered a shaft that had bent like that one. They did not want us to sell another one to that guy. SO, just be aware that pulling the load so tight that the logs can't have room to swing as you turn can damage your winch.
Use it properly and it will perform well for a very long time. Our V4000 Fransgard, has now been converted to a frame mount and is attached to an ASV 85 (85HP tracked skid steer) and it still works as well as ever (it is about 25 years old and is wearing it's second cable). Except for replacing the cable and adjusting the clutch a time or 2 the only thing needed has been greasing the zerk fittings periodically.