PDA

View Full Version : preferred mainline entrance

jimbison
05-16-2015, 08:05 PM
have mostly record multi fittings am looking to replace this summer any suggestions I have all black pipe for mainline all1 inch

PARKER MAPLE
05-17-2015, 05:10 AM
DSD saddles worked great for us. Ordered them from the maple guys

maple flats
05-17-2015, 08:29 AM
I agree on the DSD saddles. I got 25 to try and liked them so much, I ordered 50 more. I now plan to swap out all other saddles as the old ones develope a leak and use just the DSD ones.
The DSD saddles are so simple it's a wonder they weren't around sooner. They are simply a SS clamp with a hole for the elbow to go thru and a gasket. Once tightened the elbow will not twist or pull out. I had zero leak, but if one ever develops a leak, just give the clamp a little turn on the screw. I installed mine using a 5/16 nut driver on an 18V DeWalt with the clutch set on 1, fast, simple and no leaks. They have 3 sizes I think, but I ordered all 1", I used 2 or 3 to fix Record saddle leaks on 3/4" and they worked fine without issue (except maybe the slightly longer tail out the back of the clamp).
I'm in the process of adding more vacuum gauges to my mains and I'm using one of the DSD saddles, a short length of 5/16 tubing, then a adapter to join the 5/16 and the vac. gauge. I'm still thinking about a way to support the vac. gauge from moving.

BreezyHill
05-17-2015, 12:11 PM
I have not used the DSD saddle but one must remember that hose clamps do have a high failure rate over time due to the thread area strips. Then factor in how the metal thi

ckness of clamps has been reduced.

I would not use them without a clutched screw gun....I stripped several new hose clamps this past season due to the lack of metal.

IMO the CDL max seal saddles with the optional screw lock kit has been the only saddle I find that is quick and has not failed over time so far for me.

I don't add screws to all but it is a great option for when you have a location that does pop lose from animal traffic or from wind issues.

I use rapid tie to secure the lateral to the main by way of a hook connector. When attaching to the support wire with the hook the wire is pulled to the side and a pool is created. I like 12 loops per tie back so that I can tighten the lateral if needed. The tall after the connector is laid over the top of the main and connects to the saddle so there is no tension on the saddle. In this setup seldom is a screw lock needed for the saddle.

I will add a pic when my cell links up...some error issue right now.

Ben

maple flats
05-17-2015, 04:37 PM
Breezy,
I have a couple of torque wrenches designed specifically to tension SS clamps. The #1 setting of the clutch on my 18V DeWalt comes very close to matching that torque (65" lbs). I have never stripped a SS band clamp using that method. However I have stripped some if trying to remove them for any reason. On the DSD SS clamps I never had the need to remove one to find out.
If you stripped several SS band clamps this season I submit you are exceeding the 65 inch lbs of torque, or you need to buy a better quality of clamp. If you need such a torque wrench, Lowe's sells them by the hose clamps back in plumbing. They have a blue T handle with a 5/16 nut driver on the other end. Many people over torque a band clamp and then blame the clamp.
I have used the Lapierre saddles with the optional SS bolt to secure if necessary, I did not like them. I've never tried the CDL version and the way I like the DSD ones I'm not likely to try the CDL ones.