PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic Fluids Liquid Ring with OMF

SandMan
05-16-2015, 07:51 PM
Ok: I'm sure some of you are going to say this is obvious...but for the sake of others that have had no idea how the Oil Mist Filter (OMF) works on the Atlantic fluids Liquid ring...I thought I better share...

At the end of this past sugaring season, I started blowing more oil mist out of the "liquid ring vacuum pump" (Atlantic Fluids) with a OMF. I eventually figured that the filter was either out of place or ruptured. I had to add about 1-1.5 quarts of oil to the vacuum pump towards the end of the season.

Today, I talked with the distributor of the pump and they mentioned that these pumps have a tendency to pull in "a little moisture" while they run. I also talked about my concern with the amount of oil mist the pump was spraying out on the ground. They suggested that I replace the oil mist filter ($170). So I brought home a new filter and was ready to drain the OMF reservoir and change the oil.

When I started to drain the OMF reservoir, I was more then a little surprised to see slightly over a quart of water drain first before the oil drained!!!!! Now understand that this vacuum pump sits 600+ feet from two releasers with a 40+ elevation. In addition, I have a moisture trap by the releasers (which I had a drain a bit of sap a few time during the season) and second moisture trap by the vacuum pump which has also been "bone dry".

So, to see this much water sitting below the oil in the OMF was a bit shocking! I drained all the oil in the OMF and also ended up draining the oil from the pump itself (which looked fine). Long story short, new filter, oil changed and will watch the amount of water build up next year in the reservoir.

Live and learn!!!!117711177211773

wdchuck
05-17-2015, 05:21 AM
Not surprising- I run 2 of those pumps, just drain the water daily, no problems.

bigtreemaple
05-18-2015, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the info. We ran one of these pumps this year for the first time and did notice that it used more oil than I thought it should. Now I will drain and check for water also.

SandMan
05-19-2015, 09:03 AM

Disclaimer: First let me say that I'm not an expert technician in this area nor have I received any factory training regarding the Oil Mist Eliminator (Filter) OME mounted on the Atlantic Fluids (Tuthill) vacuum pump, so if anyone has specific factory training please correct me if I convey ANY information that is not correct!

As I indicated in my earlier post, I started having significant oil/mist loss out of the exhaust towards the end of this past season (new vacuum pump this year). When I pulled the OME cover off, I noticed that the oil filter was slightly rippled on the rubberized ends (? heat damage). This would account for why I was losing so much oil through the exhaust...probably the filter was not seated properly. The filter is supposed to work in such a way that the oil mist smoke traverses across the filter and then the oil drains from the filter to a one-way valve in the middle of the filter back into the oil reservoir within the OME. This minimizes oil loss. If the filter is not seated correctly oil mist will travel straight to the exhaust and then out on the ground.

The question is: Why heat damage? Now, again... I'm not an expert but as I pulled the OME apart, I realized that the Gas/Oil mist disperser (mushroom shaped) sits right below the filter and at the top of the glass peep window. I'm wondering if you fill the oil reservoir to the top of the peep window, you may be at risk of being too close to the disperser which would spray hot oil up on the filter????? Again, I'm not sure, but it seems that even slightly overfilling the reservoir may cause significant damage to the filter. These filters are $170 each!!!

Also...regarding water/moisture accumulation in the oil... Even if you have a dry moisture trap, there appears to be enough humidity traveling through the vacuum gas to create a significant amount of water in the OME reservoir over the course of the maple season. There is a toggle valve at the bottom of the OME reservoir...if the oil has cooled off and sat for awhile, you should be able to drain the water at the bottom of the oil (water separates below the oil). Based on the amount of water I had below my oil after the season (> quart), you probably should open this drain valve 3-4 times during the season.

Both of these issues point out the need for a "operator instruction" manual which apparently does not exist. I've found PDF parts list but no operator instructions anywhere.

Mike

doocat
05-21-2015, 07:12 AM
We also run two of these pumps and usually drain water off daily. Our pumps run 24/7 throughout the season. We add a little oil as well during the season. Maybe we should think about replacing our filters as the never have been and are about 5 years old. Has anyone ever replaced these?

Craig

SandMan
05-21-2015, 06:03 PM
Actually, the filter is easy to change. Just remove your exhaust piping and then the cover for the reservoir. A single wing-nut bolt and base plate secure it under the cover. It is expense to replace...about $170.