PDA

View Full Version : Ouch, I just lost my long time helper

maple flats
05-16-2015, 06:37 AM
My grandson Adam has been with me since he was 7 and even at 7 he was a good helper. He has been in college, and has worked all breaks. He now has just 1 semester left plus an internship. He just told me yesterday that he has gotten a job at his College in his chosen field, network administration.
I thought I had the one more semester but while it hit me hard, I know it is best for his future. For his future I am truly glad, for my work I will miss him dearly.
One fond memory from his early days (I think he was 8 or 9) was when we were cutting and chipping brush in my blueberry fields. It was a real hot, muggy day. After a few hours, about mid afternoon, his mother stopped with his little sister to see if he wanted to go to the lake with them to swim, his reply was "can I stay and work with grandpa?". He is also the only reason I still have the blueberries. Back in 2005 I announced I was going to sell the blueberry fields and just concentrate on maple, but he said "Ah, Grandpa, that's the funnest part". With that I had to buy a new piece of equipment to help keep up with the blueberries and still have some good weather time to work maple. At that I bought a Weed Badger, a machine that hooks up to a tractor 3 P.H., connects to the PTO, and has an arm that reaches up the right side to about 2' in front of the rear tire. On this arm there is a hydraulic motor which spins on a vertical axis. I have 2 attachments for it, the first is a vertical tiller that spins and can be run in and out by means of a joy stick control between the blueberry bushes to help keep the rows clean and weed free. It also is strong enough if I encounter a stump from the brush that has plagued me since the mid 80's, that it destroys the roots and eventually, after 2 or 3 years actually yanks the stump out and lays it in the aisle for pick-up. My second attachment is a second hydraulic motor, that spins much faster, and it has a 25" rotary mower on it. This also work good to keep weeds and such down and it can be run down the rows much faster than the tiller can.
I'm still hoping he comes back to help on some of his days off, BUT he also has a girlfriend who may likely influence his free time even more than the "fun" of working with grandpa.
My next grandson coming up is only 6 and while he wants to and sometimes does help grandpa, he will need a couple of years or more before he will be much of a real helper.
In the meantime, I've got to find another helper because I'm getting too old to do it all myself. I have a couple of leads right now, both who are good workers, but one doesn't even have a driver's license (another subject) which crimps things a lot.
I hope to be able to keep up with both the blueberries AND maple. If I can't, while my heart is more with maple, the blueberries are a more sure thing to get a decent crop. I may need to cut back on but not out of maple. Here I was going to add another 200-250 more taps next year, about 160-210 at my sugarhouse, now that I have another vacuum pump, and another 30-40 at my bigger lease. I was also thinking I might try some 3/16 at my smaller bush on my steeper sections with good drop. I'll need to think this out more now.

SWEETER CREATIONS
05-16-2015, 06:57 AM
Dave ; sorry for the loss of your helper as all of us know they are hard to find . I have been grooming mine since he was 2 years old still goes to the woods every day spends all night in the sugar house etc ,you get the picture .If he decides to do something else you might as well cut off my right arm because he is just that . After 24 years of teaching him , now he is teaching me , what a wonderful experience ! You maybe surprised if some day he returns to help Grandpa but in my opinion it wouldn't surprised me at all . He has learned well , and learned a trade that many will never know ! So Dave THANK YOU for taking the time to teach your grandson the best trade in the world ( maple producer ). Good luck in your search for a new partner ! Mike

BreezyHill
05-16-2015, 07:59 AM
MFI feel your pain.

My oldest son and his long time girl friend just got their grades for their second of four years of college. 3.3 and 3.4 are geat great grades for 20+ credits per semester. This summer Cody is doing a 400 hr internship, working for the capital districts largest heavy equipment dealership. Just yesterday he loaded a 67 ton dozer on a 7 axle semi in one shot. It was his 5th day on the job. Next summer Liz has her 400 hr internship at a greenhouse facility. They plan to come back and expand the farm and add greenhouses and take over my father in laws garage. People are already coming to Cody to fix small engines and he loves the cash so he can buy his first diesel truck.

If you play your cards right, the girlfriend will want to spend time to learn what your grandson has learned from the years working with you. All my sons girlsfriends over the years have enjoyed spending time in the feed mill, sugar house and showing cows at the county fair. There is nothing like putting 1500 bales of hay in a mow to turn a vegetarian into a beef eater in two days. LOL Now she can lift 250 pounds and is a NEAC Conference Lacrosse Champion Center.

Family...Roots need to be placed deep and well fertilized to give todays youth a strong foundation. There are some real tough times on the horizon but a good strong base will help them weather the storm.

When you thought your most important crop was syrup and blue berries...It was actual a great grandson who will forever cherish the memories and life lessons learned in the bushes at grandpa's farm!

Congratulations on seeing a good harvest!

On to the next crop!
Ben

David in MI
05-16-2015, 02:42 PM
When I was young I used to help out at my family's dairy farm nearly every summer. I would stay with them for about two weeks or so and now and again when they needed help (every young boy should be required to bale hay once in his life). Mostly I helped out baling hay, doing chores and helping to milk the cows. When I got a little older I was even allowed to run the tractor while raking hay. The work was hard but I was outside, enjoying a beautiful Creation and learning more about myself than I ever could have had I stayed at home in our subdivision. I vividly recall daydreaming one day while I was driving the tractor, thinking that one day I would love to be a farmer (but definitely NOT a dairy farmer lol). I got to know my cousins and my aunt and uncle quite well and generally loved the experience.

When I turned 40 we closed on a piece of vacant land that I had been looking for essentially since we've been married. Over those five short years we have started a maple business, a small blueberry orchard and recently added a few honeybee hives. My three daughters are growing up in the country, working hard every day and mostly enjoying themselves. I inherited a tractor almost identical to the one I drove as a youngster and quite often when I'm on it, even today, I'm taken back to my daydreams about wanting to farm. I am so grateful for the opportunity I had way back then; the seeds that were planted in me took root and, though they took a while to sprout, are really reaching for the sky today.

You have given your grandson a dual gift, both of which will be with him forever. First, you have given him your time, during which he has been able to get to know you in a way in which most youngsters today aren't able to know their grandfathers. Second, it sure seems like the time the two of you have spent together has sown seeds in his heart, much as my time farming when I was young did in me. I can't help but believe that this young man will often daydream of his time with his grandfather and more likely than not be telling his children of his time with you one day.

I'm sure the pain of losing your helper will sting for some time but take heart and consider yourself blessed that you have been able to make such an impact on him.

maple flats
05-16-2015, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the comments. By the way, my grandson stopped in tonight to talk (and collect his pay). During the talk, I asked if he had gotten his grades yet from the semester that ended last week. He said he had done alright. Then I asked what "alright" was, he said he had gotten a 3.4. Not bad for a guy who was working 15-25 hrs for grandpa most weeks for maple season, while keeping up with his studies.

Clarkfield Farms
05-19-2015, 12:19 PM
Really sorry to hear that, Dave. Adam IS a great kid, er, MAN now, isn't he? I liked working with him. Too bad it was such a short time. He's a very smart guy, too. Hey, I think he takes after his grandpa, doesn't he? :) Please pass along our congratulations to him.

You're a good man, and a good man to work for, Dave. I just hope you get the help that treats you right.

maple flats
05-19-2015, 04:06 PM
He doesn't really take after me, he is much smarter by far. He must have gotten his smarts from Joan's side and then his mother got those to pass on.