PDA

View Full Version : Aging an old leader arch and pan

Davidmo
05-13-2015, 10:32 AM
I just recently sold a 3 1/2 x 10 leader evaporator with a english tin flue pan .. have had various opinions on the age of this
ranging anywhere from 40 years to 75 years and looking to see if anyone would have history on when Leader might have made this.

The arch was a Leader made in Burlington VT
The flue pan is drop flue english tin with wooden handles 3- 1/2 wide by 5 feet long

Thanks!

YoungFamilyFarm
05-13-2015, 12:20 PM
If I'm not mistaken, tin was used into the mid 70's so 40 years would be a minimum age. However, the arch would be 80-100+ years old based on the casting marked as Burlington. They were 1890's - 1930's castings. Even though leader moved to Swanton in the 20's, the castings marked Burlington were still used for 10 years +/-.

Are you sure the flue pan was a leader? Were the handles blue? Consider also that the "complete" set-up was not all of the same set/era. Many folks kept (and still do keep) arches and replace pans. If that truly was a matching flue pan then its remarkable that it is still in use today!

YoungFamilyFarm
05-13-2015, 12:37 PM
I may have jumped the gun from memory on the Burlington casting age. I see another book had 1909-1964, but I'm not positive I guess. You could always call Leader. If anyone has an old Leader published "Maple Sugar Maker's Guide" it may help. Out of curiosity, did the flue pan have a back external float box, or a centered float/warming pan? Just curious if it was a King or a Leader. The George Soule buyout in 63' was a transition point in design as well.

Davidmo
05-14-2015, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the info. Wow the arch is really that old!.. I have no idea on the manufacturer of he the back pan. It did have rear boxes that were plugged off they might have been originally float boxes. There is a front preheater warming pan 2 x 2 SS with a float on the side partition that was most likely an add on... I had it for 15 years and made syrup on it every year.
Did not have blue handles of course being that old the blue could be long gone.