syrup to beer ratio 7.24 gal syrup to 1 gal beer
2.5 drinkers
im either slowing down in old age or getting smarter :lol:

On the ledge
05-09-2015, 08:00 PM
YES ! would be my answer

n8hutch
05-09-2015, 08:06 PM
I would guess we are closer to 1 beer per gallon here, but then again the wife gets a little cranky when you come in at midnight, half hot & she is 6 months pregnant, pretty sure her eyes cut right through me.

Hey Flatlander did you order yourself a new evaporator?

Russell Lampron
05-10-2015, 06:15 AM
Good thread flatlander! I have never bothered to figure that statistic out. We don't have returnables in NH so I don't have the empties to count at the end of the season. I have 1 or 2 while I am boiling and 1 when I filter. Of course I drink more when I have company though which makes it harder to keep track of how many are consumed. Boiling sessions are short here, sometimes only an hour and a half, which accounts for the low number of sodas consumed while boiling.

super sappy
05-10-2015, 07:05 AM
We try to keep it down to 1 Feed/grain bag of empties per drum of syrup. -SS

Clarkfield Farms
05-10-2015, 12:40 PM
lol... I make beer, and wine, and I won't touch anything as long as there's work to be done, vehicles to be driven, or someone in need, which means I rarely, rarely even have a glass of anything anymore. :D One slip up because I "forgot" to do or not do something, or do it right, or shut it off or turn it on and >POOF!< ---- how then can you calculate the cost of that one drink? Reminds me of the Jimmy Buffet song, "Permanent Reminder of a Temporary Feeling." Just my two cents, and to each his own. :rolleyes:

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-10-2015, 02:36 PM
Hey Flatlander did you order yourself a new evaporator?
Not yet but close got quotes from H2O, CDL, Thor, and waiting for 3rdGEN. If any number is close to what I can sell my set up plus a grand or two I will be pulling the trigger like a Extremist standing in front of me :lol: I wont stop until the clip is empty or my bank account:o:lol:

maple flats
05-10-2015, 03:06 PM
Russell Lampron, I learned to drive on an old 1930 ish doodlebug. It was made from an old truck and had 2 trannies, one behind the other. Usually we drove with the rear one in high and then just used the frond one, but if the pulling was tough, we shifted the rear down, in 1,1, we barely crawled with the RPM moderately high. We had an old wooden keg mounted on the side to help keep the radiator topped up, it had a leak. It had a driver's seat, then beside that and back a few inches was a huge cut stone. I'm guessing but I think it must have been about 18" tall, 24" deep and about 3' wide which added lots of traction (on the almost bald large tires, but in wet conditions it always wore chains). I don't recall what dad did with it after we got our first "real" tractor. We could not push it, thus it must have been worm drive.

Russell Lampron
05-10-2015, 06:08 PM
Russell Lampron, I learned to drive on an old 1930 ish doodlebug. It was made from an old truck and had 2 trannies, one behind the other. Usually we drove with the rear one in high and then just used the frond one, but if the pulling was tough, we shifted the rear down, in 1,1, we barely crawled with the RPM moderately high. We had an old wooden keg mounted on the side to help keep the radiator topped up, it had a leak. It had a driver's seat, then beside that and back a few inches was a huge cut stone. I'm guessing but I think it must have been about 18" tall, 24" deep and about 3' wide which added lots of traction (on the almost bald large tires, but in wet conditions it always wore chains). I don't recall what dad did with it after we got our first "real" tractor. We could not push it, thus it must have been worm drive.

I wish you had a picture of it Dave. If it was a Model AA Ford and the original rear end was a worm drive it was a 1928 or 1929. In 1930 they went to the conventional rear end and that was also the first year for dual rear wheels and the 4 speed transmission. My doodlebug is a 1930 and has a rear end out of a 1932 to 1935 in it.