PDA

View Full Version : How does scrap kiln dried lumber work vs split cordwood?

claystroup
05-04-2015, 07:00 AM
I am new to this hobby and am getting set up to run for the 1st time in 2016. Am going to order a Mason 2 x 3 or 2 x 4 hobby evaporator. Have about 25 total trees to tap here on my property and want to do it for fun as I am retiring May of 2016. I have an endless supply of hardwood (oak, hickory, etc) to use to fire the evaporator but I also have an endless supply of scrap lumber if I want it as my brother builds new homes nearby. What is the optimum ratio of wood to burn to get the best boil on a smaller evaporator? Thanks, Clay

gmcooper
05-04-2015, 07:13 AM
We burn a lot of scrap wood from our woodworking shop. Works great we just mix it in. For several years I burned strictly hardwood edging from a mill that cut hardwood flooring. That burned great. Small diameter and burned hot.

WESTMAPLES
05-04-2015, 07:24 AM
i burn kiln dried hardwood mill lumber cutoffs and 2x4 cut offs ( no pressure treated ) and mix hardwood scraps from splitting 90 cords of firewood a year in to all make a great hot fire with a blower to keep things extra toasty and the pans rolling hard front to back a blower will help increase the fires heat 3x more then just using the draft door

Jcrawfo
05-04-2015, 05:52 PM
Get a little of both and mix it. I burned mostly hardwood because that was available. Did end up with some spruce and just mixed it in. When you buy your mason get the blower, it works real nice.:)

K.I. Joe
05-04-2015, 07:03 PM
I burn all hardwood and soft wood kiln dried chunks and the fire is very hot but burns fast. Figure on using more wood than if you used logs