PDA

View Full Version : Best tools to have for installing tubing and best source to get them from

Birddog
04-28-2015, 08:53 AM
Forgive me if there is a thread that covers this - I haven't been able to find it. I'm about to take the plunge and try installing vaccum on part of my woods. For my size operation it looks like 3/4 mains will be sufficient and I think I'll go with 5/16 laterals and drops. I think I'll be trying 30p but really have no idea what is really best. I expect I'll start out with 50-100 on vacuum and then figure it out from there. I expect I'll need to install a sap ladder or two (my property has a gentle slope away from where I'd like to collect sap) I'd like to get the most useful tools to help make the job easier. Unfortuantely I'm not a welder so I don't think I'll be making my own tools. I also don't have an unlimited budget. I'd like your opinions on the most useful tools in priority order and any insights on the best source.

Here is what I'm thinking so far: 1) Deluxe two handed tubing tool 2) Mainline drill 3) Automatic wire tying tool 4) Mainline tubing tool

unc23win
04-28-2015, 09:13 AM
IMO A 2 handed tubing tool is the #1 tool to have I have the pruno auto tension one, which is sold by a few companies its like $280 I have heard good things about the Loac one which is about the same price only aluminum.

For a mainline drill they are all about the same right around $105 I have one from Lapierre not sure the brand off hand.

Mainline tools are probably not as commonly purchased, but can be very useful Jake Mosher had great pictures of one he made many people heat mainline lightly and put it together. If you are running the mainline as long as you possibly can in one piece you don't need a lot of fittings and the tool is mostly helpful when making splices so longer length will have fewer splices and less need for a tool.

Automatic wire tying tools are like $35 or so and as far as I know all work the same and most likely are the same brand.

maple flats
04-28-2015, 09:51 AM
For the mainline drill, I switched this year to the stubby DSD drill bit ( http://www.mapleguys.com/category/DSD.html ). Scroll to the bottom, get that mainline bit DSD Saddle Manifold Drill Bit . It is another idea that should have been around a long time ago. You need no jig to hold position, just hold the mainline 3/4" or larger in one hand and have that bit in a cordless drill. It does not dance around, it drills a perfect hole every time, and is short enough that it does not go thru the other side of the mainline. For those using 1/2" mains, I don't know, never had any 1/2" mains. That is both the cheapest way to make a hole for a saddle, quickest and easiest, not a bad combination. It is made just to drill plastic, don't even think of ruining it drilling anything else. It's so short, I cut a 5" length of 5/16 tubing to insert it in (just the sharp point and fluted end) when not in use, to keep it safe and sharp and identified as my saddle manifold bit.

village idiot
04-28-2015, 10:34 AM
I think the 2handed tubing tool is the one and only tool you will "need". After that I'd get the wire tie handle hook thing because it's cheap and handy. I would also spend the cash for a mainline hand drill because I don't trust myself with freezing hands and a chance to screw up the mains with a cordless drill. I probably wouldn't get a mainline tool the first year since you can do without it, and they tend to be pretty expensive. If you plan a huge expansion, or want to redo the lines later on then they can be super handy.

maple flats
04-28-2015, 11:51 AM
I've used both, to drill the mainlines, the DSD stubby is far easier and better. With that, after using one, I see no way you would drill a bad hole, and if your hands are that cold, dress better, keep dry. Drill it next time. Hands will stay warm if you keep them dry.I would never spend over $100 for a mainline drill when a $16 one that is far superior is available.
Village, try one and you'll never go back.
While the 2 handed tool is handy, we no longer use one very much, we now use the Hot End System and all repairs are done with that or a 1 handed tool. For such a small operation the Hot End is likely out of reach. I do have some 2 hand tools but I can do everything with a 1 hand and they are cheaper and easier to carry. To pull tension, I carry a 6-8' length of 3/16 braided poly rope. If I need to pull 2 ends of lateral tubing (or even mainline for that matter) toward each other, I tie 4-5 pipe hitches backed with a clove hitch onto each , a short ways back from the end. Then I slide the knots to relieve tension where I need to work, then I use the 1 hand tool. This took longer to type that it does to do, by a long shot. I can replace for example a bad tee in less than 1 minute using this method, and my load to carry is far lighter and easier to carry, not to mention about 1/2 the cost. Carry a $10 or under tubing cutter, a piece of 3/16 braided poly rope and a 1 handed tool. Then carry the necessary fittings and tubing. That's it. If you have a friend who welds, a 1 handed tool can be made for about $20-25. Rather than a pipe hitch I often use a taut-line hitch ( actually 2 or 3 about 6-8" apart) on the 2nd end, it is easier to adjust, but either works. There are a few versions of the pipe hitch, I think the fastest and easiest is to tie a line of the first half of a clove hitch. Repeat 4-5 times spaced apart a few inches, then finish with a clove hitch. To adjust, hole the tubing you are working with, pull and then slide the series of 1/2 of a clove hitch away til tight. This know will hold well and it takes very little time to untie when done. The 3/16 rope carries easily in a pocket. While I can save a little time using a 2 handed tool, the easy carry and ease of use with this method saves lots of cost and weight to carry and the extra time is only maybe 20 seconds per fitting.
My 1 hand tool, has a tubing clamp that opens when I spread the handles and then grips the tubing when I squeeze the handles, it also has a swing away flare to open the cut end and of course it pushes the fitting easily into the tubing.

Shaun
04-28-2015, 06:16 PM
Love the rope idea, had some head scratching moments out there.... Not enough hands.

village idiot
04-28-2015, 08:03 PM
I like your idea Flats. Previously I have never liked the 1 handed tool, but I'll give your way a shot. It sure is a pain lugging around the 2 hander.

BreezyHill
04-29-2015, 09:47 AM
I have an older 2 Handed Tool(2HT). a Crew of two can do 100 taps an hour with one cutting in new drops and the other tapping. All drops are made in the house or at a drop party. At a drop party we get 2 HT from friends and we run a drop cutter and put on the Y and spouts. Bundle them in 50s and have a good time talking and eating.

We are removing all our 30p drops next season...3 yr old drops are were popping off the spouts all season long. Laterals are CDL Rigid and Semi on the drops. We pull them supper tight and found the CDL Rigid stood up the best.

Mainline tools are a huge help if working alone or on ladders to connect mainlines and laterals. Mine is home made and works well.

Saddle drill was one of the best $40 investments I made. Got it from a friend selling off unneeded items from buying up an operation. Fast and easy.

Tie tool is another tool that can be lived without but is a good time saver and is so cheap for the time it saves, since I use ties in other places I use the manual unit.

Clove hitch is a good knot to know how to use for fixing problems and if you got plenty of pockets then two lengths of cord are great to carry or at least have in the wheeler or tractor.

With the number of old tappers getting out you can often find tools used as of late.

Good Luck!

Ben

Birddog
04-29-2015, 01:50 PM
Thanks everyone for your insight. I had a chance to see these tools and even got a demo from Muddyfootprints in Moose Lake and I'm sold on the two handed tubing tool. I see Roth Sugarbush has a sale on CDL products and that gets their two handed tubing tool "down" to 265.00 so I might pick that one up. Does anyone have any experience good or bad with that brand?