PDA

View Full Version : DO i need a passport to go to canada

doug jones
04-25-2015, 05:46 PM
Hi not sure if this is the right thread for this, feel free to correct me if its not , I want to go to Canada to look at an RO, can I get across the boarder and back with my birth certificate , I don't have a enhanced liecense or passport .any advice greatly apprieciated

wiam
04-25-2015, 05:51 PM
I believe you need either an enhanced drivers license or a passport.

Run Forest Run!
04-25-2015, 05:52 PM
Doug, Canadians need a passport or an enhanced license to cross the border in a vehicle. I would expect that the crossing would be the same for Americans coming to Canada.

doug jones
04-25-2015, 06:24 PM
ok thanks the guy that has the ro didn't think I did , guess I better get get one or the other

maple maniac65
04-25-2015, 06:54 PM
passports take about three months to get. Unless you go to the Big city and pay about $250.00 for one in 24 hours. Vt has an enhanced drivers license I am not sure about NY.

wnybassman
04-25-2015, 07:09 PM
passports take about three months to get. Unless you go to the Big city and pay about $250.00 for one in 24 hours. Vt has an enhanced drivers license I am not sure about NY.

NY has the enhanced also, I have one.

doug jones
04-25-2015, 11:55 PM
any idea what you have to take to the dmv to get it.

Thompson's Tree Farm
04-26-2015, 04:45 AM
Birth certificate and ss card

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-26-2015, 06:59 AM
VT Enhanced DL takes 3 to 4 weeks, in the mean time they give u a piece of paper with your picture on it. VT DMV doesnt do the license they have it out sourced.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-26-2015, 07:01 AM
VT Enhanced DL takes 3 to 4 weeks, in the mean time they give u a piece of paper with your picture on it. VT DMV doesnt do the license they have it out sourced.

In VT Birth , SS card thAT SAYS "NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION PURPOSES", AND TWO PIECES of mail.

n8hutch
04-26-2015, 07:37 AM
Over here in NH & Maine you can go into Canada without a passport they don't care. Its getting back in the U.S. that is the challenge. First time they will give you a warning for failure to comply with the safe borders act or whatever they officially call it. Second time its pretty expensive. The border patrol agents really appreciate it when you have your passport or enhanced ID. Makes their Job easier & they are generally more curtious .

maple flats
04-26-2015, 07:39 AM
I have an enhanced license with NY. To be sure what you need, go to the NYS DMV site. There you will find all the requirements. My memory says I needed my birth certificate, SS card and 2 pieces of mail from a utility company (I.E. phone, elec., oil, etc.) or similar type mail. I don't recall anything else. I think mine came in about 3 weeks.

Galena
04-26-2015, 04:46 PM
Don't know how it works coming US to Canada, but for us evil terrorist-harbouring Canuckistanians, we have to produce a valid passport. And answer stoopid questions posed by border security.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-26-2015, 06:00 PM
Don't know how it works coming US to Canada, but for us evil terrorist-harbouring Canuckistanians, we have to produce a valid passport. And answer stoopid questions posed by border security.
is it 63 or 69 know terrorist organizations?

roads-end
04-26-2015, 07:47 PM
Other option is border card cost me $40 works like passport but not for planes only for surface traffic. Good for Canada mexico

wiam
04-26-2015, 08:19 PM
Other option is border card cost me $40 works like passport but not for planes only for surface traffic. Good for Canada mexico

Sounds like it gets similar privileges as enhanced license.

DaveB
04-27-2015, 02:02 PM
Sounds like it gets similar privileges as enhanced license.

It does have the same privileges. My wife has both a license and a passport card...I happen to have a passport and once you have one it's relatively easy to keep.

BTW, the "enhanced" drivers license is really just a state issued national ID card. It was called the Real ID and states were being forced to issue it but enough people spoke up that still allow state issued IDs.