PDA

View Full Version : Red maple splitting at taphole

Biz
04-24-2015, 06:10 AM
Has anybody else seen red maples splitting at the taphole? I had 2 reds do this, both a smooth bark type. Splits run about 18" above and below taphole. Wondering if this damages the tree and what would I do to avoid it, other than not tapping the smooth bark trees. Is the smooth bark a certain variety of red? I hope it is not a beech tree tapped by mistake! Used the green CDL tubing taps for gravity 3/16" line. Taphole 5/16". Didn't notice it until I pulled the taps. No sap obviously dripping from the crack.

Dave

tcross
04-24-2015, 08:46 AM
I have a few silver maples I tap and almost everyone of those will split a little... not that much, but a little bit. I don't seem to have that problem with any of the reds?

BreezyHill
04-24-2015, 09:26 AM
Dave I had the same issue on five or six trees. At first I thought it was the youngest son had drove the tap to far in on the first couple but then I found it on 2 that I know I put in. I don't recall seeing these until after we had a deep freeze for a couple of nights after things started running. I run high vac and these did not seem to be leaking as I feared they would. No major leak that would speed sap from the lines and only a few more bubbles in a pretty stagnant line on average.
These are a soft wood and and I usually pull the taps when the buds pop to extend the season longer for the sugar maples and keep sap quality up. This season I did not, due to the forecast of a week till another freeze so we boiled til the sap was real cloudy and washed the lines.

I would not worry I have seen this before on trees and has had no negative impact on the trees or on sap production.

Ben

DrTimPerkins
04-24-2015, 02:04 PM
Dave I had the same issue on five or six trees.

We also see the same sort of thing every now and then. I suspect it is just some genetic characteristic of those particular trees that makes them more prone to splitting.

Biz
04-24-2015, 08:09 PM
Makes sense, the cracks occured ony on the 2 maples with smooth bark. Others with rougher bark didn't split. Never had any vacuum leaks either, kept a gauge on it (gravity line) so the crack isn't deep.

Dave

Russell Lampron
04-25-2015, 04:05 AM
When red maples are frozen they split easily. The smooth barked ones that are straight grained seem to split easier than the others. I didn't find any that did that this season since I have switch over to cv2's but used to find a couple when I was using cv1's and similar adapters. The cv2's aren't tapered as much and can be seated without splitting the trees.

K.I. Joe
04-25-2015, 05:04 AM
I have had some do this and I very lightly tap the spout in this year and didnt have the issue. Dont know if it was a fluke but that is what I am going with in the future

sapman
04-26-2015, 08:07 PM
I have had some do this and I very lightly tap the spout in this year and didnt have the issue. Dont know if it was a fluke but that is what I am going with in the future

Same exact scenario for me. Don't think it's a fluke. Just being extremely careful with those kind now. Happened to me with cv2's, also.