PDA

View Full Version : strange season

eagle lake sugar
04-22-2015, 11:41 AM
I've been waiting for a good run all season, now I'm struggling to keep up! Sap started running Monday morning April 20th and has run around the clock since. I boiled until 2 a.m. this morning, made 54 gallons and the sap tank is almost full again. Keep it coming, I can sleep when I'm dead!

Ausable
04-22-2015, 05:16 PM
Good for You - As Larry would say - "Get-er done" --- But have fun.

western mainer
04-22-2015, 05:33 PM
Same Here in Greenwood it came hard April 8-12 and then it was done.
Brian

TheMapleMoose
04-22-2015, 06:56 PM
Strange is right. We sat on our butts for 3 weeks and then worked them off for 14 days straight.

Glad to hear you're still making syrup up there. We had to pull the plug last night. The flavor finally took a turn for the worst....just too warm here. We are pretty disappointed with our syrup per tap ratio....not good.

Good luck for the short time you've got left.

-Joe

Mitchman
04-23-2015, 05:20 AM
Nice, Glad to hear the sap gods are smiling down on you !!!!

eagle lake sugar
04-24-2015, 11:32 AM
After running for about 36 hours, the sap turned cloudy and off tasting. It's supposed to get below freezing tonight and Saturday night so I might have one more chance. The buds are ready to pop too, so it's just about done. It's hard to get good production numbers in a two or three week season.

K.I. Joe
04-25-2015, 05:10 AM
Same here, basically nothing, then lots of sap and then done.....That quick

Revi
04-27-2015, 07:23 AM
We were thinking that we would get nothing around Maine Maple Sunday, and we lowered or expectations drastically. Then the sap poured in and we ended up having a slightly below average season, which was okay, since we had already lowered our expectations. We bottled up a bunch and are ready for the year now. You get what you get and are thankful!