PDA

View Full Version : Natural Gas Burner for evaporator?

DASH
04-19-2015, 08:27 PM
I use a 2x6 evaporator. There is a natural gas well on our property with plenty of pressure to use as our heat source for our evaporator.

I'm sure there are others out there who are blessed with natural gas and use it for boiling sap, I could use a little help with what kind of burner to use.
There are a few posts on this sight that talk about using natural gas however I cant seem to find any solid answers other than is seems I need somewhere around 550,000 btu's.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Dale (the D in DASH FARMS)

mellondome
04-20-2015, 03:06 PM
I switched to gas this year. Im using 2 torch style burners with 11/32" orfaces in my 2x6. You can find them used out there with a little looking. Carlin and beckett both have gas burners now that are built off their oil burners. And you can get conversion kits for oil burners as well.

DASH
04-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the reply Mellondome, do you have any idea what btu's you will be putting out? I just want to have the heat right.

Thanks
Dale

mellondome
04-21-2015, 10:08 PM
There are a couple charts online..depending on the chart... 250k to 330k for each burner. I know im pushing more heat out the stack than I need to.. and my arch was a last minute conversion from wood. ( so I know it isnt quite right). But for a cost of $.63 / gal for finished syrup, cannot complain. ( averaged 14% concentrate from ro).

You will need to be sure you have enough gas flow. Im pulling 2 lbs through the meter , then down to about 7 inches with burners full on. Your regulator will make or break it.

If I spent some testing time with my arch design, I should be able to reduce the orface sizes some. But you cannot beat 2 min from cold to full boil and from full boil to shutdown to being able to drain pans is about the same .. 2 min. With no need to keep sap in head tank.

DASH
04-22-2015, 03:35 PM
WOW, nice! what you have described is the outcome I'm looking for. I'll be looking into the same type of burner for my rig!

Thanks