PDA

View Full Version : I'm just venting

Brad W Wi
02-17-2007, 03:33 PM
I was at my sugarbush this last weekend running lines from my bulk tanks to the evaporator and running some electric lines as well. I ended up hurting my leg to the point I thought it was broke. It was broke this past summer and it felt just like it did then. The doctor says it's not broken but I have to stay off it for at least 2 weeks. Bad thing is I can put up missing the tapping of trees where I live, but I've put a lot of work into the sugarbush up north. This is where I will tap the whole season once it starts up there. This would be the first time I will have used the new evaporator and sugar shack as I just retired. Ted and I worked all summer building it and now that its coming close, I end up hurting myself. I'm hopping the time frame and the healing work out as I told Linda I'm going if I have to crawl . Again I'm just venting.

HanginAround
02-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Sorry for your luck Brad. I think you might feel a bit better in a few days and are better able to assess the situation. I don't think you could keep me away from it either if I were you.

Russell Lampron
02-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Brad,

Do what the doctor says and take it easy. If you have to tap a little later you can still tap. As cold as it has been 2 weeks may still be too early anyways.

Russ

Sugarmaker
02-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Brad,
Man I hope your leg gets better so you can get the tapping done. Do you have some good helpers? I was wallowing through the knee deep snow today and will probably find some new aches tonight.

You have to get that new sugar house in operation after all that work. Could you dial back the number of taps to make it more manageable for this season if the leg doesn't come around?

I remember when My dad taped we had just as much fun with 175-225 taps. Especially if the buckets are on the best trees.
Its OK to vent in fact this seems to be the place most people do.;)

Chris

Fred Henderson
02-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Well I fell back in Oct and tore the intermediate cartledge in my right knee. I took therapy for 2 days a week for 6 weeks which did not help much. The I went to see a surgeon and had an MRI. Yep, a real bad tear and I was told to have it repair before sugaring. Which of course I did not. It is supposed to hurt when I walk but it doesn't so I say if it ain't broke don't fix it. I also have a new evap,preheater& hood plus 2 new bushes to tap in and by golly I am going to do it come hell or high water.