PDA

View Full Version : Log Splitter

Stu007
04-18-2015, 12:53 PM
I am looking at splitting longer wood and am finding it hard to locate a log splitter that will split anything longer than 25" Is there someone building affordable splitters to split 30"-48" long firewood?

upsmapleman
04-18-2015, 04:04 PM
Timber wolf in Vermont makes them. Affordable that would be another story. They do make great splitters and I have a 2 ft. model. I'm guessing a 3 or 4 ft would be well over 10 grand.

VT_K9
04-19-2015, 08:04 PM
11718Here is one my Father and built. We went in search of a large piston to run the splitter. We found a piston on an i-beam. The ibeam was welded to another ibeam to form a T. We bought a front axle from a tractor trailer (welded the turning mechanism to keep the wheels straight). We can tow the unit anywhere on the property, but normally have it setup under a large maple for shade. Initially it was setup for 60" wood and we would often use a block to finish pushing the log through. We shortened the wedge (but cutting and rewelding) location and now split 42" wood without using a block. We use ibeams placed to feed the wood to the spliter. The splitter is run from a hydraulice pump from the PTO on a tractor.

Here is a picture of most of the splitter and a small pile of logs. This system works pretty fast.

Mike

adk1
04-19-2015, 08:07 PM
You can always extend the stop on any splitter

Cedar Eater
04-19-2015, 09:33 PM
My uncle built one using a large H-beam and a piston salvaged from a garbage truck. It had a 48" stroke. I ran it from the front end loader hydraulics of a 23 hp tractor. It would split a 30" diameter by 48" red oak block.