PDA

View Full Version : Leaky saddles

Bruce L
04-17-2015, 08:09 PM
Started washing the last bush tonight, where we put up all new mainlines,saddles,etc, in our "strive for five". We put a pump on the end of the mainline and backwash the lines.Had 300 gallons of chlorine water mix to wash 400 taps, should have easily done it,but however we came along to a lot of saddles blowing water out like there was a hole in the mainline, so we lost all of the water on probably 100 taps or less. My wife is not too impressed with the saddles, however the wire ties didn't seem to get tight enough, started gong through after we ran out of water putting two hose clamps on each saddle, but that is going to be time consuming and costly. Should I try tightening with other wire ties, or just go ahead and put the hose clamps on?

adk1
04-17-2015, 09:53 PM
I wore tie all of mine and haven't had an issue when I rinse mine, this is strange..

GeneralStark
04-17-2015, 10:15 PM
You don't say what type of saddle you are using but some will not seal as well under pressure as they will under vacuum. Saddles are generally designed to seal in a vacuum application. Did they leak on vacuum?

madmapler
04-18-2015, 06:40 AM
The General is probably right but with the cdl saddles that I've had problems with I used 2 wires in the same twist and it made a tremendous difference in the amount of down pressure I could apply. I pushed down on the saddle while twisting which helped as well. I would try this first before going to clamps.

Bruce L
04-18-2015, 07:39 AM
They are the ZML saddles from Lapierre, with double wire ties instead of pull straps. The wire ties were the ones that I had so much trouble with breakage with that I could not get as tight as I thought they needed to be. The 5" wire ties would break probably 70% of the time!!!!!!! Ran out of them,got using the 7" wire ties from Leader,a little overkill on a 3/4" mainline, but I could twist them right up,unfortunately not in that bush.

madmapler
04-18-2015, 09:00 AM
The wire ties were the ones that I had so much trouble with breakage with that I could not get as tight as I thought they needed to be. The 5" wire ties would break probably 70% of the time!!!!!!! Ran out of them,got using the 7" wire ties from Leader,a little overkill on a 3/4" mainline, but I could twist them right up,unfortunately not in that bush.

Just to be sure you understand that I'm saying to take 2 wires and put them together and hook your twister through all four loops. You can really snug them down that way and they are hard to break.

Bruce L
04-18-2015, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the tip Sean,while we were waiting for more water to come down to finish,my wife and I double tied each saddle, I had already done some before she arrived that were badly leaking , figured i would lose all of the water again.