PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a newbie with zero mechanical skills

Sunny
04-17-2015, 10:02 AM
I am new to the wonderful world of all things maple! I have about 15 trees in my big backyard, but am completely intimidated by many of the evaporators I see on this site.
I am not able to weld, Mcgyver, or build any of the amazing things you all have done. I don't think it would be cost effective to buy a new evaporator for my small scale hobby. I have seen plans for a cinder block arch with buffet pans, and I think that may be doable. I can lift heavy things, make fire (have access to firewood), have a long attention span and a good attitude.😃

Do you think that would be the best option for me? Any other suggestions or advice ?
Thanks!

Sunny in Indiana

saphound
04-17-2015, 11:11 AM
I think a block arch that can hold 2 or 3 hotel pans would be a good option. The trouble with a wood fired one is they take a LOT of firewood, require a stack of stovepipe out the back, many add a fan forced air supply pipe under the fire, fire brick lining, ashes to deal with, etc. A propane fired arch has it's drawbacks too, but might be a better option for you. Something like this set-up here, with some blocks stacked around the perimeter to block wind and focus the heat better to your pans.
Look at the pics on post #22.
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?25375-Another-first-timer/page3

rayi
04-17-2015, 11:17 AM
I was (and still am) in the same boat as you. I had no skill at any thing mechanical. Started out with a 2 by two flat pan. Thru the years by trial and error I have my main woods of 193 taps on vacuum and a 2 by 6 evaporator. This site got me to where I am today and you can learn plumbing metal working carpentry and a whole lot more

BreezyHill
04-17-2015, 11:25 AM
Sunny; Go to the local bar and find somebody that can weld or the local school and see if there is a kid that can weld and build you an arch. Amish in some areas make arches for guys. Even a local farmer may be interested in doing a swap of syrup for his services of an arch build.

thanks for the laugh from you post. I am fortunate that my dad did many things and taught them to me...though many times I would have rather been doing something else.

Beer is a good tool to get people to help you...and food is the other incentive tool. I have seen guys willing to work long and hard for a good lunch and dinner and bitch and moan how much they hate their jobs and their boss is a slave driver. I even get friends of my sons that want to come and work on the farm rather than sit at home or mess around with friends. I guys there is hope for the future.

good Luck! Ben

CampHamp
04-17-2015, 11:56 AM
I think having a real fire makes boiling "an event", worthy of guests and drinks!

Here was my block arch (I boiled about 6 GPH):

The only things I didn't source from Home Depot were (1) the 6in steam pans (tigerchef.com for about $15 ea), (2) the metal plate that the smoke stack sat on top of, (3) a front door and (4) hollow rectangular bars to prevent smoke from rising between the pans. A local scrap yard helped with the other items and cut a hole in the plate for the stack. Eventually, I added siphons between the pans so I wouldn't need to ladle sap and monitor the depth as much.

You've got plenty of time to plan it all out! Good luck.

Sunny
04-19-2015, 02:13 PM
Thank you Camphand! The pictures are very helpful. The blocks just stack, right? Do you use firebrick,too?

Sunny
04-19-2015, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the advice, BreezyHill. Great suggestions, and I do live in an Amish area.
I will stock up on beer and food for sure! I do hope to inspire future generations to carry this on! I have a four year old daughter who thinks sucking sap out of trees is better than candy. I have hope!

Sunny
04-19-2015, 02:18 PM
Thanks for your vote of confidence! The folks on this site will carry me through for sure!

Sunny
04-19-2015, 02:20 PM
Thanks saphound. I am considering propane,too. So much to think about. Thanks for the link.