PDA

View Full Version : Chasing syrup out with water?

Marvel26
04-16-2015, 07:45 AM
Just wondering if you can chase syrup out of a hybrid pan which doesn't have a divider in the flue section?

When I run sap through my pan the flue section is a light amber colour throughout and I'm just wondering if the violent boiling will stop the transfer to semi syrup to the front pans if I chase it out?

Also, should I choose a day with less wind so that the gradient is better in the pan? I say this as I noticed that with little wind the pan had almost an inch difference in the level from the float box sap to the syrup at the thermometer port in the final section but when the wind picked up a bit everything leveled out. If this happens when I am chasing syrup could I end up with diluted syrup which will require additional boiling time?

Thanks

Rob

CampHamp
04-16-2015, 08:58 AM
I don't think you'd chase much out. You'd be diluting as fast as you boil, I would guess. If you cannot block off your flu pan, then maybe just draw off your sweetest sap (or all of it) and boil with propane.

palmer4th
04-16-2015, 12:06 PM
I boil on a 2x8 and i make 4 gallons when i push with water at the end of the year

Mark
04-16-2015, 12:38 PM
I have done it a few different ways. Chasing with water works for a while and you get most out. Once I drained the flue pan into a tank so it could be pumped into the syrup pan. Filled the head tank with water for the flue pan. Boiled the concentrate in the syrup pans and water was available from the flue pan if I got into trouble. This year I just made syrup until nothing good was coming out and drained it down the drain after shut down. This was the best way, just open the valve and no messing around.

Marvel26
04-16-2015, 04:44 PM
This year I just made syrup until nothing good was coming out and drained it down the drain after shut down. This was the best way, just open the valve and no messing around.

Do you mean you chased it out till nothing good was coming out then chucked it or did you just throw out the semi syrup in the pan after the last boil?