PDA

View Full Version : coffee urn question

beaglebriar
04-16-2015, 06:32 AM
After struggling with filtering and wasting/spilling enough syrup to host a pancake breakfast I'm going to try the coffee urn method. My question is should I buy a new urn or will a used one be OK? There's a lot of nice used urns on eBay. Just wanted to ask before I buy. Thanks

highlandcattle
04-16-2015, 07:18 AM
We've been there. I was lucky enough to be at y cousins house when we found an old coffee urn that was packed away from when we were kids. It was in the original box. We bottle with that. So easy. Yes,a used one in good condition is fine. Whatever saves time and aggregation. Go for it

foursapsyrup1
04-16-2015, 10:04 AM
I'm using a five gallon coffee urn that's at least fifty years old and it holds the product (keeps it @ 180 degrees) extremely well and makes bottling so much easier. In 20 years I only had three 8 oz containers that developed mold and I believe that it was caused by mis handling - fingers inside the bottles. We bottle over 40 gallons a year.
A number of folks that have seen our setup have purchased used urns on craiglist or ebay and are very happy with them.

beaglebriar
04-16-2015, 02:24 PM
Thanks so much for the replies. I just purchased a 30 cup urn from eBay. Looking forward to a better filtering experience next year!

wnybassman
04-16-2015, 06:39 PM
When I bought mine a few years ago, I bought a new 30 cup stainless urn on Ebay for $28, including the shipping. It has been a great improvement for me! I bottled 26 gallons in that urn this year and that was about as much as I think I want to do with it in one season. Planning (hoping) to make more next year, and am thinking about the Smoky Lake bottler.

Daveg
04-21-2015, 01:53 PM
Got my almost-new 105 cup Hamilton Beech urn on Craigslist for $30. Bought it from a grad student at SU who had to host her 1-time Masters Degree Culminating Presentation. It has a clear tube that indicates the syrup level inside.

MarkReynolds
08-26-2015, 10:34 PM
Does any one mind posting a pic of their filter over the urn? What is the best way to set it up?

psparr
08-27-2015, 02:59 AM
Here's my setup sorta explained. http://youtu.be/9kdVThgyq_M